• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

B&G foster mom

Mac’s fm

Moving in
Real Name
Raine
Hello I’m new here just joined to learn all I can about large parrots particularly b&g macaw’s I am fostering a 17 year old male who’s dad passed from cancer sad for Mac but excited to learn all I can to be the best foster mom I can be thanks in advance for your guidance

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Welcome Mac and Raine!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
:welcomeflag:

I am owned by 4 macaws and a diva DYH Amazon. I'm a bird slave/zookeeper. What would you like to know? And good on you for taking him in!!!

Last year, I got a rehome 17 year old B&G, too. The 3 I "raised" are entitled brats. Yeah, I've made my bed. Petey, however, is grateful for the food and love he gets.

Be patient and let the bird dictate your interactions. That bird will definitely go through a mourning period. The best thing you can do is become a keen observer, a student of your bird. He will teach you what foods he likes, the toys he prefers, etc. Read, sing, and play music for your bird. Provide the best, undyed pellet you can, offer fresh foods in chunks and chop forms (Feathered Food Court on here), varied diameter and material perches, and figure out how the bird likes to bathe: New World birds are originally from parts of South America that average 6'+ of rainfall yearly. Your B&G will benefit from a good, weekly soaking, whether it's from a mister, in the shower, etc.

Mac’s fm

Moving in
Real Name
Raine
I’ve been reading a lot but I guess I just want to know when it’s the right time to try to handle Mac what behavior means back off he just arrived here at our home today I’ve slowly approached his cage to give food and water he tilted his head sideways and bobbed up and down is this a happy movement or is this a back up you don’t know me behavior I know it’ll take a while for him to settle in he did go into mourning and started self mutilating but has had surgery to repair his wound and his pin feathers are coming in so I’m hoping we can help him heal and start feeling like his normal self

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I’ve been reading a lot but I guess I just want to know when it’s the right time to try to handle Mac what behavior means back off he just arrived here at our home today I’ve slowly approached his cage to give food and water he tilted his head sideways and bobbed up and down is this a happy movement or is this a back up you don’t know me behavior I know it’ll take a while for him to settle in he did go into mourning and started self mutilating but has had surgery to repair his wound and his pin feathers are coming in so I’m hoping we can help him heal and start feeling like his normal self
Let Mac show you what he wants. If you think he might be ready, try moving closer. If that's not what he wants or he's changed his mind, you'll definitely be able to tell.

The first thing we learned was to watch his eyes. Pinning can mean excitement or aggression. Even too much excitement can be bad; if they get worked up it's a good idea to take a break. :)

It took Buzzard a week before he chose to come out of his cage and then he would only stand on the door for several more days before climbing on top.

A few weeks later, when he was ready to be picked up he held his foot out to us. Truth be told, he was ready before I was sure I was, but I decided to trust him and held my arm up for him. It was the coolest feeling in the world when he finally stepped up with both feet! :excited1:

A little tip: Buzzard doesn't always want to get off of our arms sometimes & requires a little food bribe to convince him. We keep a bowl of nuts on the counter so it's easy to access when you have only one hand available. Hopefully Mac is more well-behaved than Buzz. :shy:

Last edited:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello:

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of macaw owners so you will get lots of good advice.

I’ve slowly approached his cage to give food and water he tilted his head sideways and bobbed up and down is this a happy movement or is this a back up
It sounds like curiosity to me but if you've only had him a day or two he is taking in the new people, the new surroundings, different voices and sounds, etc.
If he was aggressive he would lunge at you.

It is nice of you to foster him and good luck.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Mac! :)

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Welcome :) Mac is beautiful

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
Welcome to you and beautiful Mac! You will learn lots here.

Mac’s fm

Moving in
Real Name
Raine
Update: Yesterday we opened Mac’s cage and let him hang out on top for most of the day we had to go out for a couple of hours and my better half tried to coax him into his cage he wasn’t having it at all so I approached him and put my arm out and said Mac up it’s bye bye time he climbed on my arm and I was able to put him in!!! the feeling was awesome I continue to watch and read and learn all there is I can get my hands on Happy Monday fellow feathered families

Attachments

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I approached him and put my arm out and said Mac up it’s bye bye time he climbed on my arm and I was able to put him in!!! the feeling was awesome
Oh my gosh, that's so fast! :laughing12: How cool! :giveme5: Way to go!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Welcome to the forum. Mac is beautiful thank you for taking him in. Look in the Behavior By Way there is a lot of good information there that will help you key in on behaviors\body language you may see Mac doing and many more subjects.

Behavior Byway | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Mac’s fm - Looks like you got a good one. Second hand birds are by far my favorites. Like Matthews Petey, they seem to appreciate a good home more and have a settled personality.