• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

B&G breeder NE

LoveMyConures

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chey
Looking for a B&G Macaw breeder near Pennsylvania. All I've found are stores. Money isn't a concern if the baby comes from a well reputable breeder who produces healthy and social babies. If are not located close to PA I would need the baby shipped. Looking for a male preferably.

So far the only place, other than the one I was originally going to get him from close to home (which I learned some not so great things about), is Todd Marcus Exotics in NJ.

Any ideas of any breeders for these guys? Any help appreciated!!

Last edited:

LoveMyConures

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chey
We looked into the possibility of a rescue but most require that you live within so many miles, and I only have 1 that is close to local, or their adoption rules are so strick it would be impossible. One had the stipulation of no dogs, which i own. And the one that was the closest, i emailed and never got a reply.

I only know of 1 B&G they have abs they have said in the past he needs a Macaw experienced home. Whole we have large bird experience, this is our first live in Macaw so that leaves us out :/

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That's a shame cause it's not the first time I've heard of a rescue turning down a good possible home because of the rules. Thank you for trying! I wish I knew of a breeder but unfortunately don't so I just figured I would mention adoption. Maybe check Craigslist too. I hope you find the bird you're looking for!

LoveMyConures

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chey
I COMPLETELY understand why they have rules in place. These poor birds have already had their whole worlds flipped upside down for one reason or another. They need to go through it again. And potential owners need to have knowledge of what they are getting into. But a lot of times, those rules greatly limit who can actually adopt them. Either it's no cats/dogs, no kids, you basically have to be home 24/7, can't have anyone who smokes in the house..... All which make sense. But I personally don't know too many people who can pass all those things.

I own a dog. I own a cat. Neither of which even have access to the bird area. I work a full time job, we don't have any kids, and my mother smokes. Though she only smokes by the dinning room window when it's open and it's on the opposite ends of the house, and she doesn't smoke when the birds are out.

I personally have an Amazon that came from a situation that was less than ideal, though she was given to us by a friend because some guy dumped her on them and she doesn't do larger birds. She's roughly 40-50 years according to my avian vet (as well as the import ID band on her leg), partially blind with cataracts, and not well socialized. Even though she is about as cuddly as a cactus, and I'm not big on Zons, she bonded with me enough to follow me around and let me give her scratches. Which is way more than anyone else can do. So she has her forever home with us. She just wants to relax on her play perch, and take little romps on the floor and she's a happy girl. Other than some occasional head scratches she doesn't like to be touched so we just let her be :)

PiPeter

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peter
You sound like a perfectly fine home for any bird. I assume you've told the places that have the strict rules all of that?

LoveMyConures

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chey
@ Laurul Feather Cat. Her name is Happy. But Happy was not happy when she first came home. Reaked of cigarettes, falling apart cage, no toys, crappy dollar store food, overgrown nails and beak.... Yeah she was bad.

@PiPeter. Thank you :) I tried getting a hold of the one that was close but they never answered. And any others around you have to live within so many miles. I'm outside those limits :(

@Doublete. I will definitely check them out! Thank you :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Ana's Parrots | Facebook

Not sure where East Straudsburg is compared to you, but one breeder that popped out with good reviews.

I've seen other breeders in PA too, knowing where you are would help find one closer to you.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
How far away from Blairstown NJ our you. A Helping Wing Rescue is located there. @Jenphilly one of our members is a volunteer there and I know they have some macaws and will work with people out of state who are willing to make the drive there to visit with the birds.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Check out the Rehome highway forum on here for more information.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Some breeders ship. Theresa Walthers (spell?) You tube channel features a family that raises B&G's. I don't know anything else about them, but I like their videos, and they just shipped out a few babies.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
@ Laurul Feather Cat. Her name is Happy. But Happy was not happy when she first came home. Reaked of cigarettes, falling apart cage, no toys, crappy dollar store food, overgrown nails and beak.... Yeah she was bad.

@PiPeter. Thank you :) I tried getting a hold of the one that was close but they never answered. And any others around you have to live within so many miles. I'm outside those limits :(

@Doublete. I will definitely check them out! Thank you :)
I am pretty sure he ships too :)
I don't know I've seen a bad review and I've been in a few times. WEll handled happy birds from what I saw.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
We looked into the possibility of a rescue but most require that you live within so many miles, and I only have 1 that is close to local, or their adoption rules are so strick it would be impossible. One had the stipulation of no dogs, which i own. And the one that was the closest, i emailed and never got a reply.

I only know of 1 B&G they have abs they have said in the past he needs a Macaw experienced home. Whole we have large bird experience, this is our first live in Macaw so that leaves us out :/
I have been turned down to foster or adopt by the local bird rescue also. They have so many rules it is just crazy.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
They actually do just the opposite of what they are supposed to be. Making it so difficult for potential forever homes,to seek out the breeders. :blink:

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
They actually do just the opposite of what they are supposed to be. Making it so difficult for potential forever homes,to seek out the breeders. :blink:
I'm located near Pittsburgh
@LoveMyConures Have you check birdbreeder.com or birdsnow.com I found a breeder in PA. (I think close to you) she breeds the Hahn's macaws not sure if she does the B&G's. I found her on a facebook bird page. I also think there is a place in Ohio.