1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Awesome find at the Goodwill

Discussion in 'Bird Boulevard' started by Wasabisaurus, 5/19/17.

1. Wasabisaurus

Wasabisaurus Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mother Monster
    BOWL.JPG

PLATE COLLECTION.jpg

I had to get some medicine for Snuggles at the vet's and, because of a monster traffic jam, took a different route home - right past the Goodwill. Normally hubby and I go together, but I could not resist going in.

I told the managers I would like to buy the collection and donate it to an organization or group that will place the collection in some kind of fundraising event.

The plates and bowls were priced at a dollar each, however after discussion with three managers, they let me buy the collection for a price one of the mangers suggested. I packed the goods into big bins with lots of newspaper and surrounded those with the comforters I use to surround the birds' cages when we travel. The big comforters keep them in place while we travel. That was a huge job - and on a very hot day, too. I bought a few sets for myself, but paid full price - that was the right thing to do.

The next thing to do is find a rescue or organization that will sell or auction off the plates, with proceeds going to help the birds.

I'm in Delaware. Anybody know a reputable group in this part of the land? I've sent Kathie (MSBS) a note since she's in NJ. I certainly can't ship a collection this numerous. I guess the smaller plate on the right is the salad plate? That is not a crack in the bowl. Just the pattern.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 5/19/17
  2. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    Those are beautiful. How many sets did they have?

3. Wasabisaurus

Mother Monster
    I don't even know. I bought it all, and it's well over 100 pieces. I have a lot of dishes to wash - by hand. :huh:

4. KimKim

KimKim Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue BINGO BABY!!!

Cool. I know the Facebook group Parrot Posse does auctions all the time, but you would have to ship to the winner... so I guess that doesnt help, unless winning bidder can pick it up.

webchirp likes this.
  5. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    Very nice! I guess the traffic was a blessing in disguise!

Wasabisaurus likes this.
  6. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    those look like dishes from a restaurant that I use to go too at Mall of America. they had live birds in the entry and thru out the dining room.

Wasabisaurus likes this.
  7. BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21 Sprinting down the street

Jake
    Great and unique find. Very nice idea to raise money for a rescue.

8. Clueless

Clueless Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Would Phoenix Landing be interested?

9. aooratrix

aooratrix Macawaholic Super Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Matthew
    Rainforest Cafe plates?

Hankmacaw and rocky'smom like this.
  10. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    YES, YES, YES, my brain is slipping gears lately. Rainforest Café was so much fun to go too.

Clueless likes this.
  11. nu2birds

nu2birds Walking the driveway

Kurt
    There's WAY over 100 pieces there..........just sayin........I guess they shouldn't go into dishwasher? You've got your work cut out for you!

12. EkkieLuv

EkkieLuv Sprinting down the street

Leslie
    Whoah. If your dishwasher has a delicate or china setting, they'll be fine. Or even just a rinse cycle would likely get them clean..... good luck!

13. Wasabisaurus

Mother Monster
    Well, I have not checked the seals for myself. Hubby said a while ago they were cracked, and since we never have a ton of dishes to do at once, we hand wash.
    I'll have a look.

I'd have to deliver the collection myself. I think Phoenix Landing is in NC. I'm in Delaware.

14. Clueless

Clueless Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Actually I thought they had volunteers that have helped them to branch out and were in different states also....just didn't know which ones.

Wasabisaurus likes this.
  15. Wasabisaurus

Mother Monster
    ^^ Thanks! I'll email them.

16. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)