• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Awesome find at the Goodwill

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BOWL.JPG

PLATE COLLECTION.jpg

I had to get some medicine for Snuggles at the vet's and, because of a monster traffic jam, took a different route home - right past the Goodwill. Normally hubby and I go together, but I could not resist going in.

I told the managers I would like to buy the collection and donate it to an organization or group that will place the collection in some kind of fundraising event.

The plates and bowls were priced at a dollar each, however after discussion with three managers, they let me buy the collection for a price one of the mangers suggested. I packed the goods into big bins with lots of newspaper and surrounded those with the comforters I use to surround the birds' cages when we travel. The big comforters keep them in place while we travel. That was a huge job - and on a very hot day, too. I bought a few sets for myself, but paid full price - that was the right thing to do.

The next thing to do is find a rescue or organization that will sell or auction off the plates, with proceeds going to help the birds.

I'm in Delaware. Anybody know a reputable group in this part of the land? I've sent Kathie (MSBS) a note since she's in NJ. I certainly can't ship a collection this numerous. I guess the smaller plate on the right is the salad plate? That is not a crack in the bowl. Just the pattern.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Those are beautiful. How many sets did they have?

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cool. I know the Facebook group Parrot Posse does auctions all the time, but you would have to ship to the winner... so I guess that doesnt help, unless winning bidder can pick it up.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Very nice! I guess the traffic was a blessing in disguise!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
those look like dishes from a restaurant that I use to go too at Mall of America. they had live birds in the entry and thru out the dining room.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Great and unique find. Very nice idea to raise money for a rescue.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Would Phoenix Landing be interested?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Rainforest Cafe plates?

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
There's WAY over 100 pieces there..........just sayin........I guess they shouldn't go into dishwasher? You've got your work cut out for you!

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Whoah. If your dishwasher has a delicate or china setting, they'll be fine. Or even just a rinse cycle would likely get them clean..... good luck!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I have not checked the seals for myself. Hubby said a while ago they were cracked, and since we never have a ton of dishes to do at once, we hand wash.
I'll have a look.

Would Phoenix Landing be interested?

I'd have to deliver the collection myself. I think Phoenix Landing is in NC. I'm in Delaware.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well, I have not checked the seals for myself. Hubby said a while ago they were cracked, and since we never have a ton of dishes to do at once, we hand wash.
I'll have a look for myself.

I'd have to deliver the collection myself. I think Phoenix Landing is in NC. I'm in Delaware.
Actually I thought they had volunteers that have helped them to branch out and were in different states also....just didn't know which ones.