1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aviary Help

Discussion in 'Toys & Cages Bypass' started by SquawksNibbles, 7/11/18.

1. SquawksNibbles

SquawksNibbles Rollerblading along the road

Kiera
    A few years ago my dad came to me with an idea of building our very own outdoor aviary. At first I thought the idea was brilliant, it would give the birds plenty of space for playing and flying. It would be a beautiful, outdoor walk-in aviary. My dad wrote up a sheet with all the materials, prices, etc. We’ve kept the sheet, but we kind of stopped talking about it and therefore it was forgotten. But then one day I suddenly became even more interested in it, and that’s when I did my research and I realized that many things on that paper that my dad made were wrong. For the wire material, he had written down ‘Chicken Wire’ and stuff like ‘Hardware Cloth’ which is all galvanized, contains zinc, and therefore can lead to zinc poisoning. I was a little upset to hear that because this chicken wire and hardware cloth stuff is about the only type of wire mesh I can find, yet I was just SUPER relieved my father and I gave up on the idea of the aviary earlier and therefore didn’t go through with using these two types of wire mesh. I know stainless steel is about the safest you can get with an outdoor aviary wire mesh. Do any of y’all have any links to some SS wiring? Only I’m finding it difficult to find any - I seem to only find the ones that are galvanized, and I just want to avoid that all together.

The other problems with my father’s paper is the fact that he doesn’t seem to include any type of flooring option. Not even anything like gravel. This is a huge problem as I know animals could easily dig under, so my top option would be concrete tiles or something like that. In addition, I have no idea what kind of wood he was planning on using, but with my luck he was planning on using some type of unsafe wood for birds, but that’s an easy change.

This is probably something that won’t happen, or at least not anytime soon. It would take a lot of planning, and I’m not even sure my parents would be happy with all these changes that would need to be made to the plan, especially since they are more expensive. But we are either making a completely safe bird aviary, or none at all. And I’d be more than willing to help pay/work for this aviary, I’ll do it all by myself if I have to. I just need my parents to understand the changes I would have made, and I would need to actually have an idea of where I would be getting the wire mesh. Then again, this probably won’t happen, but right now I’m just at the researching part so any help on finding a good place for the stainless steel mesh would be greatly appreciated. :)

finchly likes this.
  2. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    If you’re on FB there’s a great diy aviary group on there.

I’m glad you are researching it - esp here in florida where there’s all manner of wildlife. We had birds on the lanai and snakes got in and ate them (finches).

SquawksNibbles likes this.
  3. txdyna65

txdyna65 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue

Kenny
  4. BirdManDan

BirdManDan Rollerblading along the road Vendor I Can't Stop Posting!

Dan
    We used SS but it was manufactured in China and it didn't hold up well so I would avoid anything from China!

5. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna

Oh my that sucks!!

Do you know the name of the aviary group? I have been looking for ideas!

6. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Home Aviary Design.

7. Teckechick

Teckechick Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!

Dawn
    I would be interested in the FB group also. I haven't sprung it on the hubby yet but have been thinking of setting an aviary up. We probably won't do it for quite some time since we are house shopping. But...we are looking for a home with several acres. An outdoor aviary will be on my to do list when we find what we are looking for so starting to plan now would be good. I do really worry about other creatures getting in and wonder what people do to prevent it? We are in a partially country setting now and get snakes quite often, it would only get worse I would think with more land. Is there a way to make it safe to leave a bird out in an aviary unattended at all? I thought I saw a post from @JLcribber about building Aviaries also but haven't found it again yet so maybe I am mistaken.

8. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna

Thank you! :D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)