• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Lamps?

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
I'm getting a green cheek conure soon (hopefully), and I'm unsure about what to use for lighting. I don't know much about them other than that it's beneficial for birds and provides vitamins that they would get if they were outside. It's a bit confusing on what to look for too and I've heard conflicting things, are they even necessary if you provide a good diet?

The cage I'm getting has a playtop and it's going in front of my window (will have plenty of shade), but I believe the glass is going to block the rays.
As it has a playtop, I don't think a hanging fixture would work best since it wouldn't reach into the actual cage.

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm…
Would this one be okay with the floor stand? After looking at reviews people say that it is quite unsteady but I don't really know what else to look for besides this.

Any product links to what you all use and how long to keep them on would be greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to have everything set up the very best that I can before I get him.

Also this is a completely different subject, but I had seen a parrot youtuber use these to line the cage with so I just want to double check; glad press and seal, okay to use as cage liners?

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I have a full Spectrum bulb, cost was $25.00, in a clip on desk lamp, bought at Staples for $15.00. and these have worked for me for years. just replace the bulb yearly I was told.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is my understanding that these lamps do not actually provide the UVB necessary for Vitamin D production.

@Mizzely @saroj12

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Correct, glass blocks UVB, which is what light bulbs are made of ;) They provide little to no Vitamin D3 benefit.

Vitamin D3 for Our Birds | Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

A Full Spectrum is good though for their eye sight. However, any Daylight bulb in any appropriate fixture will do the same. Bird specific lamps and bulbs are a marketing ploy.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Correct, glass blocks UVB, which is what light bulbs are made of ;) They provide little to no Vitamin D3 benefit.

Vitamin D3 for Our Birds | Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

A Full Spectrum is good though for their eye sight. However, any Daylight bulb in any appropriate fixture will do the same. Bird specific lamps and bulbs are a marketing ploy.

Most UVB bulbs on the market are made with quartz, which allows more UVB to pass through than conventional glass bulbs. That's not to say that they're effective, though.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Most UVB bulbs on the market are made with quartz, which allows more UVB to pass through than conventional glass bulbs. That's not to say that they're effective, though.

Oh my bad! I just did a search you and you are correct :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Featherbrite said their bulbs emit no uvb, just uva.

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
I’ve been thinking about getting an additional cage or travel cage to take my bird outside in the sunshine...
There’s a problem though, I spoke to the breeder again and she’s hoping to have more babies late fall instead of summer. I live in Eastern Washington State, hot summers in a few days we’re hitting 107°f. Winters are all over the place, in 2017 we had a ton of snow, they had to push back graduation and the semester because we had almost two weeks straight of snow days. Then this year we had none.

I don’t know how bad it’ll be this year but how could I take him outside in the fall/winter?
It wouldn’t be for very long. Would this help? For a green cheek conure Junior Size Year-Round Fashion Hoodie | Avian Fashions

I already have a heated perch and I will probably get another as the one I found was on sale from drsfostersandsmith and it was sanded. I don’t want that to be his only option
I also am wanting to get one of those panel things for his cage.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on the temp and what they are used to. I will take them at 64 degrees if its not windy, but my house in winter is only 67 degrees usually. It's usually 32 F or below 90% of winter though.

If they are eating a pellet with D3 in it (most except TOPS and Goldenfeast do) , or you are using a vitamin with D3 at the recommended dosage, it will get them through the colder months without any sunlight.