• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Fashions

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Noodle has the Aviator, but I was wondering about the Avian Fashion's flight suit. Can anyone tell me if they are safe and easier or harder to put on than the Aviator? I have no trouble putting the Aviator on but for some reason, it is hard to get off...I feel like his wings have to go the wrong way to get it off and it freaks me out, not him so much though!

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i have a friend who had a flight suit for her green cheek and she loves it. it has that poo catcher. she uses the eye makeup rounds in it as a liner.... that's all i know bout them :shrug:

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
i have a friend who had a flight suit for her green cheek and she loves it. it has that poo catcher. she uses the eye makeup rounds in it as a liner.... that's all i know bout them :shrug:
Thanks, Beth! I really like the patterned one called Peacock and Noodle would look so cute in it! Yeah like that's a reason to spend money....oh wait, that IS a reason to spend money :hehe:

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
I was also excited they actually listed a mitred conure in the size chart :jawdrop1: Noodle always gets left out in that area. Kinda like trying to find something with my name on it when I was a kid :shy:

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
Thanks, Beth! I really like the patterned one called Peacock and Noodle would look so cute in it! Yeah like that's a reason to spend money....oh wait, that IS a reason to spend money :hehe:

we're supposed to have a reason to spend money on our lil angels :huh:

:chin:

:idea:

how about :

:bonnie: cause its my freaking money and i wanna <crosses arms and turns nose up in the air>

:lol:

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra

we're supposed to have a reason to spend money on our lil angels :huh:

:chin:

:idea:

how about :

:bonnie: cause its my freaking money and i wanna <crosses arms and turns nose up in the air>

:lol:
Yeah, glad I have only one feathered angel right now and of course Sadie and Monty, but they do not demolish their stuff like a little red head I could name :D

Rowdy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
I just ordered a flight suit (had to get a white trainer because they didn't Missy's size in the color I wanted). I'd be interested in what others have to say about it too. :) I can't wait for Missy's to get here and to start getting her accustomed to it!

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
I just ordered a flight suit (had to get a white trainer because they didn't Missy's size in the color I wanted). I'd be interested in what others have to say about it too. :) I can't wait for Missy's to get here and to start getting her accustomed to it!
Please post pics of her in it! I can't wait to see what you think ;)

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Just watched a video on the putting on and taking off of the flight suit and it IS easier to take it off...they just step out of it after you undo it. Watched a few videos and read some more articles and I had no idea that people would leave it on the bird inside so they didn't get poop everywhere. I would only use it for outdoors, but is it as secure as the Aviator? Now I'm gonna go watch Aviator videos.

Rowdy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
The Flight suit is VERY easy to get on and off. It seems very secure too.

The Aviator, though, has a reputation for being the best, most secure, safest harness out there for parrots.

I went with the flightsuit because, knowing my bird, she wouldn't take to the Aviator as readily as a flight suit.

PS, I'm posting pics in the forum in a few minutes in a different thread. :)

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
The Flight suit is VERY easy to get on and off. It seems very secure too.

The Aviator, though, has a reputation for being the best, most secure, safest harness out there for parrots.

I went with the flightsuit because, knowing my bird, she wouldn't take to the Aviator as readily as a flight suit.

PS, I'm posting pics in the forum in a few minutes in a different thread. :)
Cool, can't wait to see the pics :D Now that I have put Noodle's Aviator on several times and watched how Barbara Heidenreich does it, it is a lot easier. I watched the Parrot Wizard do it and it was all about "look how fast I can get this harness on my little bird". Not helpful at all :mad:

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
I have one for Penguin and find it easier to put on that the harness. And I find it very secure, with the leash attached. I actually just ordered another one, today. Penguin hates it but very very soon I´m taking him outside for the first time and I hope he grows to not hate it so much.

GlassOnion

Cool, can't wait to see the pics :D Now that I have put Noodle's Aviator on several times and watched how Barbara Heidenreich does it, it is a lot easier. I watched the Parrot Wizard do it and it was all about "look how fast I can get this harness on my little bird". Not helpful at all :mad:
Hmm- Have you checked his "harness training guide" that he does with Kili? :) It's SLOW, detailed and extremely informative from start to finish. The fast paced one was just show how easy it is to put it on, take it off. He's also putting up a new set of videos for harness training his rescue Macaw, Santina.

I find this guide to be the most detailed and well thought out video guide there is for harness training. It's also free. ;)

And then there's this

Last edited:

GlassOnion

That being said, I also thought about ordering a flight suit. I'm not sure if the slow, positive reinforcement technique would work with a flight suit as well as it did with the Aviator? @zuzanqa , did you just put it on penguin and let him get used to it, or did you go step by step?

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
here is what happened when i just put the suit on neo, instead of following the steps they provided. bloodsuit.jpg
it was easy to get it on that first time, he was quite young, and made no fuss. but after getting it on, he would never stop fiddling with it. maybe it just covers too much of his little birdee body. maybe it feels constricting. only neo meyer knows. all i know is every time thereafter i tried to put it on there has been bloodshed. i am going to try an aviator instead. perhaps others have had success without having to follow the steps, but i and my tender finders recommend following them. otherwise neo meyer is a sweetheart, my little snuggle buddy. but not in a flight suit.
above is not a pic of his first time wearing it btw, rather, and probably the last time he will ever wear it. and i have punctures all over my hand besides what you can see.

GlassOnion

Ouch!! :eek: I've been training Ruby with the aviator and can put it on him, but as soon as he realizes it's on and not coming off, he'll chew on it for hours until it is off. The resentment then follows, and I have to work for weeks again to have him allow it again!

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
That being said, I also thought about ordering a flight suit. I'm not sure if the slow, positive reinforcement technique would work with a flight suit as well as it did with the Aviator? @zuzanqa , did you just put it on penguin and let him get used to it, or did you go step by step?
@GlassOnion i´m not sure if it would. I had showed it to him before I put it on him, played with it so he could see it, and hung it outside his cage. He knows what it is and what it´s for :sneaky: I just put it on him and took him outside for 5 min. He was chewing on the suit the entire time and when we came back home he passed out and slept for a while. But he´s not resentful. We cuddled at night at always. Today I´ll see if I can take him on a little walk. The main thing I need to be careful of is the leash: meaning, he doesn´t know he can´t fly off but tries to fly, so I need to keep the leash short and attach it to a bracelet so I don´t accidentally let go!
I believe he´ll get used to it over time.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I'm confused about how the flight suit works on birds with really long tail feathers, like a GCC. It seems like they cover the tail feathers. How does that work? I want to get one for Duckie, and was thinking of sewing the leash to it. (Apparently it goes on with velcro).

Sparrownote

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
A DeHaven
I'm confused about how the flight suit works on birds with really long tail feathers, like a GCC. It seems like they cover the tail feathers. How does that work? I want to get one for Duckie, and was thinking of sewing the leash to it. (Apparently it goes on with velcro).
The tail feathers are outside the suit. It fastens in the back, and directly under the part that you fasten shut is an opening for tails. Under that opening is the pouch area that collects droppings and holds a liner. I'm new here and not quite sure how to attach photos, but if you google them, the pictures that come up will probably explain it better than words. I hope that helps! They are quite nicely designed, and they'e customer service is wonderful! I really like their company.

jax7271

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
I am working on conditioning one of my girls with a flight suit right now.....you have to go slow, but they are great.