• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian CPR

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks!

Crow lover

Sitting on the front steps
This video is on youtube and called:

A bird performing CPR

It is amazing!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
What this article doesn't say is the likelihood of a crashing avian patient recovering without intubation and intervention by emergency drugs is less than 10%, and there is a good chance that an owner could break a rib or rupture an air sac during compressions. Unfortunately CPR for most exotic species is much more complex and unsuccessful than it is for cat/dog patients. Even in larger birds like cockatoos and macaws.

I think it's okay information for people to have for their birds, I don't think that the article fully explains the risks and most likely outcome involved with avian CPR.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What this article doesn't say is the likelihood of a crashing avian patient recovering without intubation and intervention by emergency drugs is less than 10%, and there is a good chance that an owner could break a rib or rupture an air sac during compressions. Unfortunately CPR for most exotic species is much more complex and unsuccessful than it is for cat/dog patients. Even in larger birds like cockatoos and macaws.

I think it's okay information for people to have for their birds, I don't think that the article fully explains the risks and most likely outcome involved with avian CPR.

Yea. It's great info but if one is in a situation where the average person needs to perform CPR on a bird, the chances of actually saving its life aren't very good.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That is a bit higher than in humans who are given CPR as a lifesaving measure. But if there is nothing else to do - go ahead.

My vet actually opened the chest of an Amazon and performed cardiac massage and saved the bird for awhile. The bird finally died in a week or so, but that was quite a feat in my estimation. My vet does not give up easily.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
That is a bit higher than in humans who are given CPR as a lifesaving measure. But if there is nothing else to do - go ahead.

My vet actually opened the chest of an Amazon and performed cardiac massage and saved the bird for awhile. The bird finally died in a week or so, but that was quite a feat in my estimation. My vet does not give up easily.
The week that it bought that bird was one full of pain and did no good for him/her. At that point the prognosis is so poor I can't even fathom opening up a bird's chest. In my opinion it's irresponsible to consider that unless you're already in there for a procedure.