• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

acortese86

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Amanda
I live near Chicago and in a townhouse so my fid doesnt get the sun exposure that she needs. I want to get her one of the avian bulbs, anyone have a recommendation and who sells them?

ArloDuncan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Steve
I also live in a townhouse and I have a couple of the Zoo Med Avian Sun Deluxe floor lamps over my Fids cages.

Amazon.com: Zoo Med Avian Sun Deluxe Floor Lamp: Pet Supplies

But there are also other full spectrum light bulbs that you can put in other lamps as well like these.

Full Spectrum Lighting for Birds. Provides Vitamin D3. DISCOUNTED

Just know the bulbs are pricey and your supposed to replace them every 6 months or so to make sure your Fids get the UV they need. I guess while the bulbs remain very bright they loose their UV output over time.

I hope this helps some.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie

acortese86

Real Name
Amanda
I guess my next question is, does the wattage matter? I have a small bird so I would assume she doesnt need a larger balb?

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Hi Amanda - the wattage only matters as it relates to where you are going to hang the bulb. If you are going to place in a hanging fixture over top of the cage, I would go with the 26W bulb. If you are putting it in a fixture that sits on top of the cage, such as the fixtures I carry, you would use a 20W bulb.

Hope that helps!

In what type of fixture will you be placing the bulb?

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I also live in a townhouse and I have a couple of the Zoo Med Avian Sun Deluxe floor lamps over my Fids cages.

Amazon.com: Zoo Med Avian Sun Deluxe Floor Lamp: Pet Supplies

But there are also other full spectrum light bulbs that you can put in other lamps as well like these.

Full Spectrum Lighting for Birds. Provides Vitamin D3. DISCOUNTED

Just know the bulbs are pricey and your supposed to replace them every 6 months or so to make sure your Fids get the UV they need. I guess while the bulbs remain very bright they loose their UV output over time.

I hope this helps some.

I had the zoo med floor lamp but eventually tossed it out after a short time. It got so it would not stay positioned and the shade would drop.

Last edited:

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks for the info, I did not know they need replaced every six months. I better mark that on my calendar!:)

acortese86

Real Name
Amanda
I havent decided what fixture I want to use yet. I was thinking about getting one of those tall floor lamps that have 2 different lamps, One hanging off the side that is adjustable (that way I can position it on her cage) and the regular one on top (so she has a light in that corner for days like today, dark and stormy so I dont have to keep my dinning room light on for her.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've been thinking about these too, but I'd like to use them in my normal ceiling fixtures. All my cages are in a row along one wall. There's hanging lights there, but only one hangs directly over a cage.

Do these lights have a broad beam effect, or is just the underneath area of them profiting from the full spectrum of light?

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Kathie, could you answer this? I would like to hear what you have to say--thanks!

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I've been thinking about these too, but I'd like to use them in my normal ceiling fixtures. All my cages are in a row along one wall. There's hanging lights there, but only one hangs directly over a cage.

Do these lights have a broad beam effect, or is just the underneath area of them profiting from the full spectrum of light?
Becky, are you thinking of placing them into recessed lighting?

The lightbulbs, themselves, do not have a broad beam effect. However, Featherbrite did come out with a hanging fixture that was designed to "throw" the light about 3 feet in diameter.

If you are thinking of putting them in recessed lighting, I do not think you birds would benefit from the lights. They should be within 1-2 feet of the cage. Hope that helps! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.