• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Body Language

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Bird Body Language
Bird novices are sometimes quick to misjudge their bird’s behavior and wonder why they received a bite or why the bird fluttered off their hand. Does the bird want you to come to it, or move away? If you start to understand what bird body language means, it’s easy to read bird behavior. Here are just a few things to watch for:

• Eye Pinning In parrots with light-colored eyes, you might notice the pupil dilating in and out when the bird becomes excited. This happens a lot in Amazon parrots, macaws, Poicephalus and African greys, but can happen in any parrot. Eye pinning means a heightened excited state — this isn’t a good time to stick your finger into your parrot’s face — you might just get a nasty bite.
  • Tail Flaring Birds shake their tail feathers after preening or to release tension, but tail feather flaring is different; this is when the tail feathers are flared out like a fan. Amazon parrots are prone to this, but other types of parrots do this as well. This indicates an excited state, and often appears with eye pinning.
  • Beak Clicking The clicking of the beak can indicate an excited state, but can also be a warning to stay away.
  • Feather Fluffing A bird will ruffle and fluff his feathers after preening to remove debris and will also fluff his feathers when it is cold. If a bird has his feathers continually fluffed, the bird may be ill and is trying to keep warm.
  • Beak Wiping Birds will often wipe their beaks on perches or the cage bars after eating to remove debris, such as food.
  • Crest Position Some birds, like cockatiels, cockatoos and hawk-headed parrots, have crest feathers that the bird raises or lowers to indicate emotional state. If you have one of these types of birds, watch to see what prompts the bird to raise its crest; is it excited, fearful or happy?
  • Shivering Birds shiver and shake after taking a bath; their breast muscles involuntarily contract and expand to create body heat. A bird may also appear to shiver when he is very excited. Quaker parrots are known to “quake,” which is how they got their name.
  • Flapping Wings Birds often hold on tight to the perch and flap their wings madly as if wanting to take off in flight. They do this for exercise and when they’re happy, and it can also be part of breeding behavior.
  • Head Bobbing Head bobbing can indicate that a bird is anxious to go somewhere, or perhaps he is regurgitating to you in an effort to bond with you. Very young parrots bob their heads a lot, as do quaker parrots.
  • Head Shaking African grey parrots shake their heads a lot, as if something is in their ears. It is not certain why they do this, but it’s a normal behavior for this species.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Last year I was putting the harness on Sydney for the first time and he was beak clicking (he wasn´t moving, just sat there). I had never heard it before, nor have I heard it since. A very distinct sound.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Murphy, when excited or in fear of something, raises the feathers on top of his head slightly as if he had a crest. And as you may already know some EB do have crests.

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Jellybean flares his tail and poofs up his head feathers and does crazy eye pinning. I call him angry watermelon butt when he does it. This usually means he is mad about something or super over simulated. 20171111_175112-1-2.jpg Ignore Papayas long nails. This is old and when I first took over care of him from my sister.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That first photo is a gem. He looks so mad at the other bird.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Rupert usually poofs his head feathers out (there's a distinct "swoop" to the back of his head when he does this). He will also keep himself low to the ground and will often have his tail flared. You have to keep your distance when he's got that look about him.

You feel like you're squaring off with a dinosaur.

The longer you spend time with birds, the more you get a feel for these bodily cues. The more subtle cues can get you in trouble if you aren't on your toes.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So true. We could make a very different list of our birds body language.

Kodigirl210

It’s funny that the head shaking is listed. Sif has just started doing it. I can see no reason for her to do it yet she is doing it quite regularly.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Maybe she read the list here.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It’s funny that the head shaking is listed. Sif has just started doing it. I can see no reason for her to do it yet she is doing it quite regularly.
The other week I went to see a friend of mine who has an African grey and I was wondering why she was so twitchy. I never knew they did that.

Kodigirl210

My ex’s grey never did. I was with him for over 5 years. I never thought it was anything serious because of how closely I watch her. Still it’s good to know they have confounded the experts lol