• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aug 2015 Feathered Estates Highlight - Juliashmulia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Aug 2015 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:
Juliashmulia

I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member Juliashmulia.
Julia's living room setup was specifically designed for a single small, fully flighted bird.

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I have one Senegal parrot, and my setup was designed especially for him.

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
No.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Not other than buying things a little at a time, keeping an eye out for sales, and buying and recycling parts to make my own toys.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?

The boings and swings stay as is, but the toys and perches in the cage get switched out often and as they're destroyed.

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
I bought my cage from Bonka Bird Toys, and my boings and swings from King's Cages. The toys and perches I bought from King's, MSBS, IGAW, Drs. Foster & Smith, Creative Bird Toys and some from a local bird store. I get all my toy making parts from A Bird Toy and MSBS. The cage-top play gym I had custom made by a woman in Oregon.

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
I like the cage-top play gym because it was handmade by a fellow bird mom. I think it's beautiful.

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
The failures are the ones in the pictures, because they've been in there for weeks and haven't been destroyed yet, lol.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
I have a foraging wheel that Silas absolutely loves, but his new thing is his cork bark perch from IGAW that I hide treats in. He spends so much time looking through it and pulling it apart to find goodies.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
The biggest difficulty was that my cage came severely damaged and I had to send it back for a replacement. I called King's and they immediately sent me a new one direct from the factory and picked up the damaged one at no charge to me. Bonka Bird Toys also sent me a box of toys for my trouble. Oh, and another challenge was finding a safe way to hang heavy swings and boings from a drop ceiling, but we made it work.

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
The only thing I dislike is that Si doesn't have the room all to himself. I have a cat and I wish there was a way to keep them completely separate at all times. Luckily I'm there to always supervise and make sure they don't interact.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
Definitely the cargo nets on the windows. Silas spends hours playing on them and I like that they keep him safe. One of my biggest worries having a flighted bird was that he'd get spooked and hit a window, and now I don't have to worry about that.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
Silas took some time to adjust. This cage was an upgrade for him and we also rearranged the room at the same time. In retrospect it may have been a bit much to do all at once. But he was happy and well-adjusted after just a week or so.

13~ Any future renovations planned?
New, fun toys of course (a large order coming from IGAW), but that's all for now. My long term plan is for Silas to have his own completely bird-proofed room, with all his toys and swings and cargo nets (once we buy a house), and be virtually cage free.

:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:

Please join me in congratulating Julia for an amazing setup that keeps her bird entertained
and avenue members inspired.​

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Amazing. I'm in awe and my poor zons can never see these pictures.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
What a great set up! Congrats!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great setup. Very lucky Senegal! Whenever I've tried to hang things from the ceiling, even with anchors, they just fell down sooner or later.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome Julia!! There are lucky birds at your house!:laughing12:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Wow!! Congratulations!

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I really love your entire setup, Julia!!
You have one heck of a lucky guy!!
Congrats!!

Status
Not open for further replies.