• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attention

Alex Fernandez

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a question about attention giving to My Sun/Jenday Conure. So he loves to scream(go figure) haha. But at times he seems to do it for no reason. I noticed I am usually just watching and looking at him when he does this. So I would go to him and he will let me pet him but won’t let me get him out his cage. Then I go away and he starts again. So I stopped just looking at him and I noticed he is more quiet now. Do Conures not liked to be stared at much or is it me staring at him telling him it’s play time?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
It sounds like he's maybe calling you over for attention.

My guys scream at me when I'm in the room but not paying attention to them. I tend to ignore them and give them attention when they are quiet.

If you give him attention when he screams you are teaching him that when he screams he gets attention.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
If my Aries is in his cage he will do this sometimes too when we look at him and he will flutter his wings also. When mine does it he wants attention and/or out of the cage, generally when we get home from work or have him in the cage for some other reason.

The important thing is to not give attention to them when they scream it just reinforces the behavior!! We typically ignore Aries or leave the room when he is screaming and don't interact with him until he stops. Sometimes he will just flutter and not scream at all, when he does just the flutter we generally try to talk to him to include him in what we are doing and this tends to help prevent the scream from even happening. Anytime he has to be in the cage and if he is not screaming we try to talk to him. Our Aries just wants to be included in everything so by talking to him if we can't let him out seems to cut down on his screaming.

Does your little guy get out of cage time frequently?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you ever just tried leaving the cage door open to see what he will do? My quaker will do this if he wants to come hang out, but he doesn't step up well. He will just fly over to me when I open the cage.

How long have you had him? Staring at him if he is still new could be considered predatory behavior.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have been down that path... screaming, yelling and total wrath for not doing as expected! :blink:

Not Pilo of course...
My wife! :rolleyes:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I took Adam and Evil in to get their nails trimmed today. Evil got caught on the side of the cage yesterday and had a fit. Not a bit appreciative of me helping her get loose either. While she was getting trimmed, Adam hopped up on my arm. I figured I would catch it because it's never happened before and might not ever happen again. I thought for sure he was going to bite me, but he let me stroke his back until they took him away. She started screaming as soon as she saw him on my arm. After he was trimmed, they put him back in with her, and she promptly bit him and started screaming at me. She does live up to her name.

Attachments

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations, your parrot is a very good trainer! This isn't done out of malice or anything - your parrot is a flock animal, you are his flock, and he is trying to get his flock to be with him. So:

He screams - you look at him.
He screams a bit more - you go over to him, talk to him and make a fuss of him.
You go away, but he knows that if he screams again, he can get you to come back.

You've stopped looking at him (rewarding him) and he's quietened down because he's not getting that reward. It's important to be consistent and to not look at him when he screams; if you ignore him some of the time and reward him some of the time, he's going to scream in the hope he does get a reward.

It's important to reward him when he is being quiet. If he's quiet, then look at him and go up to his cage to talk to him, but step away if he starts screaming.

It's also important to ensure that he's not lonely or bored. If there's a quiet contact sound he makes, encourage it by responding when he makes that call. You can respond with just a "hi" or "hey bird" - I actually find myself mimicking Leia's sound. Birds are flock animals and it's not natural for them to be shut away from the rest of their flock. They get stressed if they're kept away from us, and they call to at least make sure their flock is within hearing distance.

If you can, include him in what you're doing - either have him out of the cage or, if he's in the cage, just chat to him. Leia's cage is by my desk and I just tell her what I'm up to.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I've got a new caique and my other fids do something similar. They all scream in the morning and again in the evening. It's almost like the Walton's Good night John John, Good night Jane, Good night blah blah. Dang.