• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attacking others

quaker0320

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jeffrey
Hello guys,

I have two Meyers parrot and two quaker parrots. I bought all of the parrots at the same store and bought both Meyers together. It's been a couple of times where one of the Meyers attacks the other and recently she attacked him and has made him bleed. The "girl" hasn't been DNA tested to she if she was a girl or boy but the boy has and it has been confirmed that he is a boy. I really don't know why "she" is doing this. "She" isn't aggressive to humans but she has jumped on every single one of my birds. She doesn't show any aggression, she just jumps on them. I have "her" separated in a different cage and I also have to separate them when I let them out, I have to put them in different rooms when they are out but clearly it hasn't worked. It has gotten to the point where I'm thinking of giving her away. If anybody has any suggestion, comment or solution please write them!!!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Both of my meyer's hens are the same way. One lost almost an entire toe in November due to jumping on the other's cage. Meyer's are pretty known for not being the friendliest with others. One avian vet I saw said that 50% of bird on bird attacks he sees are from poicephalus parrots. Mine have to have separate out times. I know they do enjoy each other's company when I am gone and they do scream for each other if in separate rooms, but they'd probably kill each other if they had the chance. Wish I had something more helpful for you other than "I know how you feel":hug8: Would love to see pictures of your meyer's. They are just too cute:heart:

quaker0320

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jeffrey
Thanks for your comment :). I really didn't know that about them. My Meyers are sleeping right now but as soon as they wake up I'll take some pics. Thanks :hug4:.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Gibsongirl.....same here but I have a Scarlett that is the meanie, her & my male Military grew up caged together but when they were around two the Scarlett attacked the male & poked a nice size hole in his chest, very scary but do the same thing as yours, enjoy each other but they can't be out together.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Gibsongirl.....same here but I have a Scarlett that is the meanie, her & my male Military grew up caged together but when they were around two the Scarlett attacked the male & poked a nice size hole in his chest, very scary but do the same thing as yours, enjoy each other but they can't be out together.
Thank you for sharing that. It seems crazy to say they will attack each other, but still enjoy each other's company, so I'm glad to hear you have experienced that, too. I think about it often.

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
I had a Meyer's who was fine with other birds until his hormones kicked in. Then he attacked everyone, including me. My grey cheek parakeet had to have blood transfusions and spend the night at the vet's when the Meyer's took part of his toe off.

The Meyer's couldn't be out of his cage -- he would go to the other cages and attack birds through the bars. Eventually he consistently attacked me. I found another home for him, and he was much better.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Pois are known for this..

I have two male Meyers, and while the youngest (Zuri) wants to befriend both my Senegal (Shade) and eldest Red-bellied parrot (Pixel) (both hens), he only tolerates my youngest Red-bellied (Joey, male) and has tried to pick a few fights with my oldest Meyer's (Petey), one of which resulted in Zuri getting an injury on his toe, which he then picked at, lost part of the toe and had to be in a collar for a few weeks.

Also, Pixel has never liked Shade and was getting bolder in her attempts at trying to attack Shade (most of which I was able to prevent), but one day she got her good, so I decided to break out the flock in smaller groups when it is time to come out of their cages. (Piper, Shade and Zuri are one group, Petey, Joey and Pixel form the other and Léa comes out on her own giving the size difference).

My mom also has a Senegal who attacked a Meyer's (toes lost in one of the nastiest fights) and after this attack, that Meyer's has (rightfully) not been too keen about being around other Pois.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My biggest aggressive problems have always been with Meyers hens. Trixie Meyers literally beat Sunshine Senegal into submission within a fifteen minute period when I left the room for fresh water. Sunny did not dare land on me or try to spend time with me when Trixie was out in the birdroom: instant attack by Trix! The only way I could handle the two of them was to have Trix out from six am to noon and Sunny out from one pm to bedtime. Trix had an accident in the birdroom and died from blood loss while I was not in the room. It was one of those wrong place, wrong time things. I adore Meyers, and all Pois, and miss having a Meyers in the flock. Right now I have my Sunny heartbird and I am seducing Red Bellied Oscar. Oscar is still very stand-offish, but he is making progress!