• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

At the pet store today...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Wife and I went to the new chain pet store today to get piggie supplies. Usually Milton comes with us, but the weather wasn't nice, so he had to stay home.
Anyway, down the side aisle a little conure...almost an exact twin of @Lodah's Pilo. :) Nice large, clean cage...plenty of food and clean water...toys galore.
Anyway, when I came up to him/her, s/he came right up to the side of the cage and put her/his head down for scritches...which was followed by the cutest little grumble/squeaks that have ever been heard.

Goodness, it was hard not to come home with a new bird today...

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Hopefully someone comes along who will give him/her a new home. I try to avoid looking at the birds if I go to a pet store.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wife and I went to the new chain pet store today to get piggie supplies. Usually Milton comes with us, but the weather wasn't nice, so he had to stay home.
Anyway, down the side aisle a little conure...almost an exact twin of @Lodah's Pilo. :) Nice large, clean cage...plenty of food and clean water...toys galore.
Anyway, when I came up to him/her, s/he came right up to the side of the cage and put her/his head down for scritches...which was followed by the cutest little grumble/squeaks that have ever been heard.

Goodness, it was hard not to come home with a new bird today...
Now you know how easy it is to love these little guys! He must have loved you too!

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
So happy he had a nice cage with toys and food. Your desciption of the babe is sweet! :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Are you certain you can't squeeze one more cage in that house? ;)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Remember, Milty got very jealous and started plucking when you got Buddy........ This little one is so personable, she/he should find a great home.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Remember, Milty got very jealous and started plucking when you got Buddy.......
Don't worry....there was never any real consideration to bringing this little one home. First of all, even though the store was caring for the bird properly, it's still a store. To their bottom line...THE BIRD IS AN OBJECT TO BE SOLD. Sorry about the reality check, but it's the uncomfortable truth.

And yes, I don't have the room...and my current flock is a challenge enough for my wife and I.

The little one is so darn cute...hopefully, s/he will find their soft place to land soon...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think the pet store people train the conures to turn on the charm when a customer is looking at them. Why is it that the pet stores always seem to have the GCC on display? Either that one or a sun which of course gets everyone's eye.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
It can be so hard to walk away from birds in stores. I try to do all of my supply shopping online now. :confused:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's how my husband and I became bird people, though, so there's some good that can come of it. :) Because of one sweet green cheek and a stop for dog food, four more non-pet store birds have found their forever homes.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Why is it that the pet stores always seem to have the GCC on display?
IMO, GCCs are so personable...charming, as you so well said...they attract people to them.

It's a double-edged sword...very friendly to people...therefore, very marketable as merchandise...:(

Unfortunately, you see so many GCCs in rescues...so very sad...:sad1:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's why I don't go to pet stores. LOL. I almost came home with a nanday one day. The little guy was so cute and looked like he so wanted to be held and snuggled. Sigh.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
IMO, GCCs are so personable...charming, as you so well said...they attract people to them.

It's a double-edged sword...very friendly to people...therefore, very marketable as merchandise...:(

Unfortunately, you see so many GCCs in rescues...so very sad...:sad1:
Why do you suppose that is? Disposable fids? Its not as if they scream the place down or anything! Sad to hear!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
One reason is the "disposable bird" thing, I'd think. People who have no experience with birds see how cute they are..then when they realize how much you need to commit to a bird, they definitely lose interest.

And because they're just so darn cute, GCCs sell well...meaning quick profits and fast turnover. There's nothing sadder than an adult bird of any species that has been at a pet store for a long time...

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
One reason is the "disposable bird" thing, I'd think. People who have no experience with birds see how cute they are..then when they realize how much you need to commit to a bird, they definitely lose interest.

And because they're just so darn cute, GCCs sell well...meaning quick profits and fast turnover. There's nothing sadder than an adult bird of any species that has been at a pet store for a long time...
The pet stores in my area don't actually sell many birds anymore. One sometimes has a few budgies but when I asked in the others if they sold birds they said 'Oh no!', as if I'd asked if they sold crocodiles. I was disappointed because I really wanted to just SEE some birds...but now I'm thinking maybe it's a good thing.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I'd have to get a new house...:)
That's what my girlfriend keeps telling me.... I said we could get rid of the TV since we don't watch it much, that didn't go over well lol!