• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

At it again...

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Charlie and Emma are at it again. Emma laid her first egg of her second clutch today. I was originally planning on replacing eggs this time right out of the gate, but actually, I think I will let her lay all her eggs again one more time. I am curious to see if she stops right at 7 again. Third go around, I will definitely be using the faux eggs immediately after the first egg comes out. Also, as a note, they appear to be spacing out clutches by about a month and a half. Not ideal, but also doesn't seem too terrible if controlled with faux eggs. Unless someone sees a problem, I think I will continue to leave them together. That doesn't seem too extreme to me in terms of nesting frequency. Any thoughts here?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Laying seven eggs every 45 days or so is very draining to the bird's calcium supply. Especially with such a small species. Does she have any form of calcium supplement (cuttlebone, egg food, pellets, etc.)? Also, vitamin D is required for the bird to properly absorb calcium. If she does not eat pellets, then direct sunlight is very important for her.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
She has egg food, cuttlebone, mineral bars, indirect window sunlight, pellets, as well as both occasional fresh scrambled eggs with crushed shells (especially around this time) and I keep a constant supply of just crushed (and boiled) egg shells in a bowl in the corner. She munches on all of it. I need to do better giving them more natural sunlight though, or I need to consider a bird lamp. I hate the idea of having a lamp over the cage and have been avoiding it. Seems tacky, but if at the end of the day it is necessary for their health then I will do it. I already have an excellent source for a vet approved lamp, just need to go pick it up.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I assume, you being you -- you've looked up kelvin ratings and so forth for said bulb? Window sunlight doesn't count.

Yes the lights are tacky, and after you add light then you sometimes have to add cooling features. But it's all about the fids, right?

How much calcium is in your pellet food, and what % protein is it? And how about your egg food, if it is commercial?

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Forgot all about this...

IMG_20171020_152458.jpg IMG_20171020_152617.jpg

and then of course they get fresh scrambled or hardboiled egg, egg shells, cuttlebone, and mineral blocks (two types).

IMG_20171020_153053.jpg IMG_20171020_153044.jpg

Emma in particular destroys the egg shell bowl, so I know she is at least getting a LOT from that source.