• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aspiration! help

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
So my cockateil he’s 4 months old haven’t drinking water since morning so i just giving him water via dropper (only few drops)
when i hold him and pour water he sneeze and when i put him back in catch his doing some movement with his beak (4-5 times)
now seems fine and vocalise now i will never give him anything via dropper is it aspiration ?
anything to look for ? pls help

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I don't fully understand why you are giving your cockatiel water via dropper. I suggest providing your bird with an open water bowl. They should have the choice to drink whenever they want. Your bird's thirst will depend on what they have eaten, and the weather so don't stress if you don't witness them drinking often. They will when they are thirsty. Do not use a dropper for anything around your bird without a vet's guidance.

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
I don't fully understand why you are giving your cockatiel water via dropper. I suggest providing your bird with an open water bowl. They should have the choice to drink whenever they want. Your bird's thirst will depend on what they have eaten, and the weather so don't stress if you don't witness them drinking often. They will when they are thirsty. Do not use a dropper for anything around your bird without a vet's guidance.

noted now i won’t i was giving him water before i leave for work yes it’s rainy season here so he drink less these days
he ate Zupreem Pallets , seeds & millets
water available with him all the time even i change his water before leaving for work .
when i come back the bowl is half empty

this happens firstly i feel scared because in past i saw aspiration with my pet roosters but they tend to clear their windpipe with a sneeze i hope there’s nothing to worry he’s acting fine afterwards i learned a lesson

will never give him anything with dropper
basically he’s a rescue one it’s been 1.5 month he’s with me i registered a complaint no one comes to pick him up i got notes from department that someone intentionally leave him so he’s with me
i am very new with cockateils
i have birds with me like 3 year old red vented bulbul , 3 pigeons , 2 roosters and now him

i am sorry if i do anything wrong i feel really scared still learning about their anatomy

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
murli this video i shoot after 10 mins of the incident

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
He should always have access to fresh clean water. He is an adult animal and he will drink when thirsty.

If you want more advice on how to improve his cage, enrichment and help him have flight it may start by looking around in this sub section.

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
He should always have access to fresh clean water. He is an adult animal and he will drink when thirsty.

If you want more advice on how to improve his cage, enrichment and help him have flight it may start by looking around in this sub section.

okay i will follow your advice
also he just don’t eat pallet much he loves millet so can i add vitamins as he looks thin since i have him and tend to sleepy

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
It doesn't look like he has any toys in his cage?
Also, since he is new, you putting your hand in the cage may be scaring him.
As for the water, as @fashionfobie stated, he will drink when thirsty. Don't try and force him to drink.
My cockatoo doesn't drink alot during the day, but at night and first thing in the morning she does.
He looks so sweet. If you play music or have the TV on for him, it would be good too. He makes the cutest little sounds :)
Good luck and keep us updated please.

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
It doesn't look like he has any toys in his cage?
Also, since he is new, you putting your hand in the cage may be scaring him.
As for the water, as @fashionfobie stated, he will drink when thirsty. Don't try and force him to drink.
My cockatoo doesn't drink alot during the day, but at night and first thing in the morning she does.
He looks so sweet. If you play music or have the TV on for him, it would be good too. He makes the cutest little sounds :)
Good luck and keep us updated please.
you won’t believe i ordered half of the amazon toys for cockateils he just get scared
i talked with 2-3 people he’s coming from bad house they intentionally left him

since this incident i just leave the water nearby his food bowl he drink on his own
he’s max 5 months old male lutino (as per i research on google)
he can’t fly properly
thankfully he try to sit on my hand (still bite) but when he try to fly he hit walls or tv

hopefully i turn off fan when he’s out with me

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I hope he gets used to you. He is a very young bird. He will eventually enjoy the toys you bought for him.