• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Argh! I’ve fallen in love

Louise Powell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Louise
So, I recently told myself that considering my situation (I’m under 18) and all of the homework I have and things to do, getting a parrot was NOT a reasonable idea. That is, until a beautiful canary showed up at a local shelter. I never considered having a songbird, but the more I think about it, the more this bird seems suited to my lifestyle. The only thing I’m worried about is their strict sleep schedule, but I’m sure that I could make it work. I’m going to try to convince my mum to go visit him.:bliss:

So anyways, what are your thoughts? I also have a few questions:
1. What are some good canary pellet brands?
2. What type of toys do canaries prefer? Any favorites/recommendations?

Here’s what he looks like:
www.PetHarbor.com pet:BURB.A080784

Thank you! :ycanary:

Louise Powell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Louise
Thank you @BirdManDan ! That’s what I was thinking too. I always do extensive research before getting any pet, which is why I’m still considering the situation and asking for advice.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
It’s good that you realized that a parrot may not work for you and you didn’t make an impulse buy. Not saying you can’t handle a parrot - heck, I’ve no idea of your lifestyle. But it’s good that you are thinking very much of the bird in the situation, too, not everyone does that.

I have like 0 information or experience with canaries, but I must say that the one you’re considering is a cutie. I can see why you’ve fallen in love. :)

Good luck with you’re decision. Like I said, my advice would not be helpful as I’ve never had canaries, nor really researched on them. So all I can do is wish you good luck - I’m rooting for you and this Canary to end up together. :)

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Canaries are the best! :) I'm a student myself, and my Peeps is quite easy to take care of with my type of schedule.

This is the brand I feed my bird (i can tell he eats them since he tends to leave crumbs on top of his food box):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006G5RGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_xkO-Ab2CJZ5DR

Egg food/Seed mix (I mix 1 tsp of this with a tbsp of pellets on days when I can't give him treats):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OVGO7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_btO-Ab3T4T1C2

I give him this fancy seed mix as a treat:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B10WSW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_UrO-AbN7RW01D

He also receives fresh veggies regularly along with his pellet and seed mix*

Regarding toys, Peeps has 2 swing perches in his cage and this mirror thing:
Snapchat-96832184.jpg
He seems to like it a lot (He's had it for almost a year now). I got this from a local petstore.

I'm pretry sure there are other toys out there, but I just haven't gotten them yet.
However, I do let him fly around in my room whenever I'm home and can supervise him. This way, he can excercise and let out some stress regularly :) I also made him a 'jungle gym' to play and sing on, so he wont be bored when he's out:
20180422_141743.jpg
It was pretty cheap to make: I used pvc pipes (which I cut up so I didn't have to buy too many), couplings, and some unused perches.

He also likes screens so he would fly and peck on my laptop whenever I'm doing homework or just watching films. He's never bored lol
20180420_124705.jpg

In terms of bedtime, he wakes with the sun and goes to sleep with the sun. Right now, i take off his cover at 7 am (because I need my sleep too), and I put it back around 8 when the sun has pretty much set.
Having him has definitely made me a morning person because who could get annoyed with his cuteness and singing in the morning!?

I hope you get to take home the cutie soon! :)

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
A canary is a great idea! I have gloster canaries. Love the markings on yours, so cute!

@sheeluhwhet has it covered. I bought volkman canary seed in bulk recently, before this mine just ate the finch seed. They get Roudybush crumbles and lots of fresh food which they love. Canaries LOVE to swing. Mine also like shredding toys, which they don’t seem to shred but they like to pick at them.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He is so beautiful! Keep us posted, I am looking forward to seeing more of him as I suspect he Will be coming home with you!:D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think a canary is a great idea. I was at a bird show recently and completely fell in love with the canaries there. They are so cute.

Louise Powell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Louise
Thank you so much for the great advice, everyone!

@SquawksNibbles , thank you! Although my lifestyle isn’t too hectic, it probably wouldn’t be the ideal environment for a parrot.

@sheeluhwhet , thank you so much for the advice! I would probably feed him Lafebers or Volkmans, and free flight around the house for at least an hour or two on the busier days. On normal days, it would probably be closer to 2~4 hours. On weekends, he would be out all morning.
Bedtime probably won’t be a problem; my dad wakes up very early for his job, so we go to sleep relatively early.
As far as play area, I would either buy one or make one myself.

@finchly , thank you! I would get him a boing and a swing, and some toys

As far as cage-wise, I’m thinking about the prevue 30Wx18Dx18H flight cage, as I’ve heard canaries prefer width over height. Is this big enough, or should I get a taller cage?

I’m already thinking about names, haha:bounce4:

Thank you!

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Anytime :)
I can tell your bird is coming to a safe and caring home! I'm looking forward to your updates!:bliss:

My brother had two parakeets and has just purchased Volkmans seed for them. I think this is a sign for me to try it too lol

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That cage is fine, @Louise Powell . I have a few of them myself. You can get the taller one, I have a pair in the flight cage.... is he going to fly out of cage ever? Oh I see that he is, so the smaller cage is fine and it's easier to move around. I hang fake flowers all around in mine, they think those are swings too. :D

My brother had two parakeets and has just purchased Volkmans seed for them. I think this is a sign for me to try it too lol
I really like it!

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I feed volkman's canary and it is my favorite commercial brand - I offer addtional hemp seed, suflower hearts, Roudybush pellets and fresh food a few times a week including dark green vegetables, apple slices, sweet corn, sweet potato (microwaved until soft) and boiled egg. Mine do great.

30 x 18 is an excellent size for one. It's what I use, and I have several birds in mine (with lots of flight time.) It's big enough for quite a few perches, a swing and some toys and still allows flight room. But if you can do it, taller is even better.

Louise Powell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Louise
@finchly , you said that you bought the volkmans seed in bulk. I cant seem to find large bags of the canary seed for sale anywhere, where did you buy it? Thanks!

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I think your idea of taking on this canary is a fabulous idea and a very mature compromise/decision. I am WAY WAY older than you, but I have two Lovebirds and I looked into canaries and finches before making my decision. I wish I had room to keep both. Good luck with your decision and I hope you post about you and your bird settling in.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly