• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are you ready to live with a parrot? (funny!)

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Got to agree with Mr Peepers one of my dogs was extremely sick on the evening, I managed to call my vet (he was just getting to his birthday party) who went straight to the surgery to meet me, I can't ask more than that from any vet he also spent half th night with the dog so I think I ruined his birthday :(

I bought a canary a couple of months ago and took him to my avian to get checked out I find out the birds got air sac mites and scaly mites on his feet and legs. 3 visits later I've spent $400 for ivermectin treatments but I noticed somethings still not right so I call one night hoping to catch him before he leaves so I can ask a quick question. He said he's on his way home and will drop by and look at Mr Peepers as his clinic is a block away, after checking the little guy out he agrees there might be a problem and suggested I bring the bird in the next day so he can test him for a respiratory infection.

He didn't have to come over right then he could have said for me to bring Mr Peepers in tomorrow but he didn't do that and he didn't charge me for the home visit. He went above and beyond his job that evening.

Dedicated and caring.. I can't ask for more in a vet. :)

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Oh I'm not denying it's expensive, but that's the nature of the specialized care. I suppose what I resent is the implication that everything paid by clients is profit and that vets are rolling in cash. Even here on AA one time I had to lay out the cost of something that someone thought should have been a "free" service by a veterinarian. I don't assume all pet owners are like that (I know most aren't), it just cuts a little too close when I read things like that.

I guess once you've dealt with angry people on this subject you get a different feel from the joke than people on the outside. I didn't get the feel that it was a stab at or indication that vets and their staff are wealthy or robbing people but I've also never worked in animal health.
I'm sorry about that, that you've had to deal with such accusations from 'customers.' :hug8:
Everyone at the three practices I take my dogs and Peanut to, right down to the people who work the front desk, are in the business because they love animals.
When I left Petie there for pain treatment for his bone cancer (medication given via IV that would hopefully reduce his pain for over a week) they couldn't get him back in a kennel after I left (funny story: good luck getting a 130lb dog to do something he doesn't want to.)
The IV had to be in for something like 5 hours and a tech sat on the floor with him the entire time so he wouldn't get up and down constantly, since it hurt him so much to do. And I wasn't billed for her time coddling him.
When he was euthanized a few weeks later I got a card signed by everyone, even the traveling surgeon who worked on his knee.

Anyway, I thought of one to add for lovie owners specifically: Every time you find something made of paper you left undefended out in the open, get a pair of scissors and cut one 1/4" strip out of it for every 8 seconds you left it alone. It doesn't matter if the paper is money, a book, junk mail, or important tax information. If it's been more than 10 minutes you may as well just run it through a paper shredder and save yourself the trouble. Then take the shredded paper and hurl it into the air like confetti.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I can say that I have never felt overcharged at the vet. The quality of care is so good, the staff so friendly, and the vets are amazing. I could probably find a cheaper and closer vet (its a three hour drive- 1 1/2 hrs each way) but I feel like I would be cheating my birds out of the best care they can get.

Anyway, to the article- "
Take some of that bird poop you borrowed from the bird supply store and place it on a spatula. Now reach over your shoulder with the spatula and rub the bird poop on the back of your shirt. Let dry and then go grocery shopping. Count the number of people who either stare at you or tell you that you have bird poop on your back."

:hehe: Happens all the time. The most recent was a nice big Joey poop on my head. I got to class and went to run my hand through my hair. I then felt a nice dried on poop, right smack in the middle of my part. I began to pull it out at my desk, then I realized I was probably grossing people out... :bag:

So I went to the bathroom to gross out my fellow potty users.... :lol:

birdle

hahaha this made me laugh so hard! especially the part about smearing poop on your back.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Pets cost money- no way around it. However birds.... seem to cost just a bit more as they can have symptoms that dont at all match the issue.
Good food costs money, toys cost money, Vets cost money. but who else is going to give medical care for your friend?

She should add to that list....Wanna look nice for that special someone when they come home? You will have to do something other than put on jewelry... as this is a wonderful new toy for your feathered friend. (something I totally forgot about and Siva gave me a very fast reminder trying to eat my diamond earrings). All I could think was- no! please, please dont swallow this....... and I have to take you to the vet !
;) apologize for brash humor)