• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are supplies safe?

jsrcksaaf

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brittney
The small beads look like the birds could swallow them? I thought about buying some but was afraid my bird could choke on them. It that something I shouldn't worry about?

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've put together different things with PVC and I never use clue. As someone else said, you can use a lot of different types of connectors. If I needed extra reinforcement I drilled a small hole through and put a stainless steel screw through it, then twisted over the ends. I only did this on the bottom in hidden areas.

Esther

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Esther
Be careful when cutting or drilling PVC pipe as it releases toxins into the air. Should be done outside or in the garage away from the main living area of your birds. I use foam beads on my toys and they should be latex free. If building a play gym, you can use vet wrap to wrap the "perches" (will need to be replaced frequently) so the bird doesn't slide around. My Macaw has a home made play gym made of PVC pipe but I stopped using the vet wrap. He's fine with it but also has a Get-A-Grip attached to the playgym and ceiling for perching/playing.

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Like others have said, my pvc play stand didn't need any glue. The connectors are designed to make a really snug fit if you push the tubing in nice a tight. To separate the tubing from the connectors when I want to make a change to the stand takes all of my brute strength.

It's soild and stable :)