• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are some baby GCC's just NOT cuddly?

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, that conversation crashed and burned rather fast. Further proof that birds are not for everyone. It requires a lot of patience. I had to learn their limits, but more importantly, I had to learn my own. The three of mine that are pets all have distinct personalities and I interact with them accordingly. I really only mesh with one of them. One hates me, one loves me, and the other is indifferent. I interact with all of them equally, but don't put myself within biting range of the one that hates me. The other two live in my office. If the little girl wants attention she comes to me, if not she ignores me. I don't force it on her because she gets an attitude. When she's had enough, she leaves. It works for us both. The last one is my special bird. He's had a hard life and I know his time is limited. I don't know how many owners he's had, but it seems he's been discarded more than once. I will be his last, and I'll shower him with all the affection he wants, when he wants it, for the time he has left.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What just happened here?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
What just happened here?
She didn't get a pat on the back for trying for a whopping two months with an animal so she left. People like her are why I wouldn't EVER work in the pet industry again. People expect living beings to act like robots when nothing acts like that. She's done nothing but complain about this bird since before she even got it. I'm just worried she's going to keep putting birds through this and justifying her actions.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I hope she will come back and consider posting her GCC in the rehome section here. So many bird loving people who I know would be more than willing to take her baby into their fold. Such a great place to at least start with. @Mykidzmom if you revisit this thread, please give us a chance to help you rehome her.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I hope she will come back and consider posting her GCC in the rehome section here. So many bird loving people who I know would be more than willing to take her baby into their fold. Such a great place to at least start with.
I doubt it sadly. She's been saying passive aggressive stuff towards members and got an attitude with @Mizzely just for trying to help. She obviously doesn't give a crap about the bird from several of her responses here.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
But that could change. I will continue to hope that she will let us help her bird find his forever home.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, that conversation crashed and burned rather fast. Further proof that birds are not for everyone. It requires a lot of patience. I had to learn their limits, but more importantly, I had to learn my own. The three of mine that are pets all have distinct personalities and I interact with them accordingly. I really only mesh with one of them. One hates me, one loves me, and the other is indifferent. I interact with all of them equally, but don't put myself within biting range of the one that hates me. The other two live in my office. If the little girl wants attention she comes to me, if not she ignores me. I don't force it on her because she gets an attitude. When she's had enough, she leaves. It works for us both. The last one is my special bird. He's had a hard life and I know his time is limited. I don't know how many owners he's had, but it seems he's been discarded more than once. I will be his last, and I'll shower him with all the affection he wants, when he wants it, for the time he has left.

If you hang out on the railroad tracks there's about to be an accident...I just feel so bad for the poor bird as they did nothing wrong ...just being a bird & I hope they find a good home...

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

If you hang out on the railroad tracks there's about to be an accident...I just feel so bad for the poor bird as they did nothing wrong ...just being a bird & I hope they find a good home...
The birds are always the innocent victims. Birds bite sometimes, but it's their nature. My cat is an absolute pain in my backside sometimes. He has behavioral issues unlike any cat I've ever owned. He can be unpleasant, he screams, or just freaks out sometimes. That doesn't mean I'm going to get rid of him. He's mine until the end of his life because I took on the responsibility of caring for him. My birds are the same.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
Absolutely. I took in a rehome Meyers 12 years ago. She is a challenge, even more when hormonal which seems to be year around. She loves men, any man. A man can handle her anyway they please and she is in heaven. She loves my husband who really could care less about birds. She is mine. But it is clear I am not the favorite. I have taken bird behavior classes, webinars, to see if I can get her to behave differently towards me, it has helped some but not to the extent I would like. So she is my bird and we will do the best we can with each other. I treat her like the other birds and maybe some day she will come around. I took on the responsibility and we will make it work.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh, no. I just caught up here. I remember Midori came home about the same time as Waffle and this hurts my heart so much. Waffle isn’t perfect—gets crabby & nippy, and isn’t as much of a cuddler as a climber/busy bird. But I love that little floof more than I thought my heart could ever handle. Poor Midori. :sad2: I sure hope she’s rehomed and young enough to bounce back.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I think the whole post is a setup (personally)... from the first till the last of her posts! No-one could possible have that sort of interaction or effect from caring for a fid, especially after two years of research! Enough said!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
For what purpose? For us to beg her to do right by her bird?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Either way I fear a train wreck coming....

Mali

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
I am sad for both her and Midori. I know I stumbled across another of her posts of how happy she was with Midori and thinking of getting another ( prior to this one) so it does make you scratch your head at the abrupt 360.
I know mine is not a cuddle bug all the time and yes my fingers are often chew toys for all of my birds, Anyway I do hope she did find a good loving home for Midori, I just hate that it was a lesson learned at the birds expense

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
There was also another post about a week or 2 after getting the bird about rehoming and then she came back & said she had a bad weekend & to disregard. I hope @Lodah is right that it’s fake, but if not she seems to have patterns of instability. Poor birdie.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I realize this is late but wanted to say something.
To answer your question, no.
There's a bird (IRN) here that's basically a bully. Sometimes I feel like his slave. Despite it all, he is regularly fed and gets his cage cleaned and gets cared for as if he loved me and wanted nothing more than constant cuddling.
Two conures just moved in. The Sun loves me, loves head scratches and what I call "bird massages." On the other hand, the GCC isn't sure about me yet. He doesn't want me to touch him. He stays close to the Sun but not me.
A surprising question came my way with an interesting thought. "Do you want to bond with this bird? It's okay if you don't but take care of him like you do." ME??? I grew up with birds on my shoulders, literally.
Just like there are cat people and dog people and snake people, there are bird people. There is no shame in preferring one type of animal over another. I've got birds and dogs, but you couldn't pay me to care for a snake! The trick is acknowledging it.
Conures of any sort can be difficult at times. They're loud, moody and so many people have been misled about them, especially GCCs.
It takes a special breed of person to love GCC's for this. This can be said of any bird! Actually, it takes a special breed of person to own cats or dogs or reptiles. Yours may do better with someone that is a bird person.