• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are some baby GCC's just NOT cuddly?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Just an FYI, birds bite, so if that is an aspect that upsets you, you should really take that into consideration. I've even been bitten by doves and finches, it's in their nature. I'm not trying to be mean in anything I'm saying, I've worked in the pet industry for a very long time and a lot of people have this artificial view of what they want animals to be (not saying that is you), and a lot of the times they're the same people that return the same animals a few weeks later or try to a few months later. Saying a species is universally cuddly is always wrong. That's like saying all women love the color pink. There is a standard notion about species but they are all individuals and once again, all birds bite. Ollie absolutely adores my husband, cuddles him, loves pets, etc, he still bites him in the face and hands regularly because he is a wild creature. I just hope whatever conclusion you come to is the best for you and your bird.

Mykidzmom

Strolling the yard
I just hope whatever conclusion you come to is the best for you and your bird.
I am quite aware that birds bite. The conclusion that I will decide upon will be best for me and my daughter; the bird's consideration and welfare come distinctly last, or are honestly not even figured into the mix.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
That's very upsetting to hear just like your daughter that birds life is in your hands. It is innocent just as your daughter and has done nothing wrong other than be a bird so a I hope you find her a home that has someone who has bird experience with a loving safe and environment.

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
I'm really sorry she's not the bird you were expecting. That's a really upsetting situation for everyone involved and isn't fair for you, your daughter, or Midori. You've done a good thing by coming here though and attempting to learn what you could and listening to other members. As others have said; birds aren't for everyone. And that's okay! The important thing left to do is find her a truly wonderful home if you truly feel you don't want to put up with her. You, your daughter, and Midori will all feel better. And that's the end goal. Make everyone happy and right. :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:cry3:

I do wish everyone would try to do some research so they could advert this. Yes, birds are not for everyone. Especially those wanting a cuddly toy which they are certainly not. You do owe this bird the best care & the chance for finding a suitable home where it can live its life happily as a well cared for bird including some out of cage time.

Yes, we all know children come first but when your child reaches its teens years & argues with you & wants to go out with friends & wants to do what they want you can't lock them up.

Please show your child sensitivity to living creatures that do not meet your expectations.

Not everything in this world is going to go there way.

That being said even GCC that start out cuddly as babies will go thru a nippy cranky "teen" period which may or may not last as they mature as they like children want to be independent & go about there life in this world & are not puppets.

:sorrow:

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Please find the poor bird a new home, with someone who will put the bird's welfare first.

Next time do more research on the certain species of animals you want to bring into your home, oh and also have more of a realistic expectation when it comes to owning certain species of animals.

Birds bite, that's how they are. If you can't handle that than you shouldn't have brought a bird into your home.

Things like this upset me very much, I just hope that poor little bird gets the great home she deserves.

Mykidzmom

Strolling the yard
Please find the poor bird a new home, with someone who will put the bird's welfare first.

Next time do more research on the certain species of animals you want to bring into your home, oh and also have more of a realistic expectation when it comes to owning certain species of animals.

Birds bite, that's how they are. If you can't handle that than you shouldn't have brought a bird into your home.

Things like this upset me very much, I just hope that poor little bird gets the great home she deserves.

I did two years of research. Keep your self-righteous moralizing to yourself. I will not keep ANY animal the bites in my home. For now, the bird has food, water, and shelter. That's sufficient.

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
If you did two years of research like you claim, you would know that birds bite... And then since you say you will not keep any animal that bites in your home you wouldn't even have brought a bird into your home. & you will spare that poor bird a subpar first new home.

By the way, food, water, and shelter are not sufficient for a bird.

Please just hurry and rehome that poor bird to someone who will care about the bird's welfare.

Also might as well get rid of all the other animals in your home too since they can bite.

Last edited:

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Is that enough for a child? Certainly not. It's no different for any other animal either.

Any animal that can bite will.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Perhaps someone on this board would be open to rehoming your baby
forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?forums/rehome-highway.48/

Last edited:

Mykidzmom

Strolling the yard
Is that enough for a child? Certainly not. It's no different for any other animal either.
An bird is an animal, not a child.
If you did two years of research like you claim, you would know that birds bite... And then since you say you will not keep any animal that bites in your home you wouldn't even have brought a bird into your home. & you will spare that poor bird a subpar first new home.

By the way, food, water, and shelter are not sufficient for a bird.

Please just hurry and rehome that poor bird to someone who will care about the bird's welfare.

Also might as well get rid of all the other animals in your home too since they can bite.
Thanks. I'll do with the bird as I see fit.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
A child is animal there is no difference

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
You said yourself you're going to find the bird a new home today. So at least that is good news. Just make sure the home is a good one.

Also look into a rescue or even a bird sanctuary or you can list the bird on here in the rehoming section of the forum.

Reactions: Jas

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
@Mykidzmom Can you give us a general idea of the area you're in? Maybe someone nearby can help you! If you're in a tough financial spot, I'm sure something can be arranged to help you out as well with someone taking in the bird. But please remember, much like with your child; when you welcomed this animal into your home, you welcomed with it the commitment to care and look after it. She doesn't get a choice or say in what happens to her, but you do. That should include putting her in the best new possible home. I guarantee you there is an option out there that will work best for everybody; you, your family, and Midori. Please reach out. We're here to help.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Check with your local police on that.
Humans are animals all of them. (As a species we are under the classification of animal, so yes a child is an animal).

Mykidzmom

Strolling the yard
I'm outta here. I won't respond to any further posts, either the snotty ones or the very few kind and compassionate ones (which I appreciate). As I've said before, the bird is my problem and my responsibility, and I will take care of it as I see fit.

Bye.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Well I wasn't being rude, it can be hard to express emotions via text, sorry if it left that impression.

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
Lol

I hope the little bird gets the great home she deserves.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
I got my GCC as a rehome at 3 years old. It took almost a year before he stopped launching himself on anyone that walked by and attacked. I thought the same thing as you, what have I gotten myself into but he has been well worth the effort. He is now 16 years old. I would never consider him cuddly and he has a bird version of ADD. BUT he is hysterical and is always up to some crazy antics. Loves to bang noisy toys, will sit with toy bells on his head and is like an avian watchdog. Over the years of bird keeping I don't think I have ever had a cuddly bird. They like to hang out on me and interact but cuddling...no. My lovebird never left my shoulder and liked to sit in my hair, liked head scratches but when he was done with it, that was it. I like the independence and intelligence of birds and am not a cuddly person myself so it is OK.
Best to find her a new home if that is how you feel.