• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are society finches dusty birds?

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
Does anyone know if society finches or canaries are dusty birds? I am planning on getting either species soon after I take an allergy test at my doctor, and if it comes out negative for bird allergies I would like to get either society finches or a canary, but wanted to know if anyone ever had a problem with these particular birds being very dusty? Thank you if anyone can answer

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
All birds are dusty to a point because they all produce dander. Finches and Canaries are not "dusty" birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
All birds are dusty to a point because they all produce dander. Finches and Canaries are not "dusty" birds.

True. My budgies seem to have a lot of bird "stuff" coming off of them. They do get spritzed on a regular basis. If you or family have allergies I would look for another type of animal. Fish would be a good option

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
True. My budgies seem to have a lot of bird "stuff" coming off of them. They do get spritzed on a regular basis. If you or family have allergies I would look for another type of animal. Fish would be a good option
I know I am allergic to dust but not sure if I am allergic to birds, that's why I am getting a test done. I actually have fish already, my kids keep asking me if they can get a pet bird so I decided if I am not allergic to birds I will get either finch or canary for them. I think the smaller bird the better for us. Thanks for replying

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
"Bump" just means that it gets bumped to the top of the "recent posts" view, which means more people will see it and, hopefully, be able to respond.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
With society finches you’ll want more than one . “Society” finches! :)

Compared to almost any bigger bird they aren’t dusty. However: you will have some dust, dirt, etc. having just one pair of birds, changing papers daily, and using a small vacuum should keep allergies in check.

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
With society finches you’ll want more than one . “Society” finches! :)

Compared to almost any bigger bird they aren’t dusty. However: you will have some dust, dirt, etc. having just one pair of birds, changing papers daily, and using a small vacuum should keep allergies in check.
Oh ok good, I didn't think they were powder down birds like parrots, but I was just making sure. Also, if I get a canary can I only get one or do they need to be kept in pairs?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Also, if I get a canary can I only get one or do they need to be kept in pairs?

A solitary bird is a lonely bird. ESPECIALLY society birds like canaries. Of course you're going to get a pair at minimum.

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
A solitary bird is a lonely bird. ESPECIALLY society birds like canaries. Of course you're going to get a pair at minimum.
Even if I am home most of the time and able to spend time with him? Just asking because I know of some people who own a single parakeet but they are always home.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh ok good, I didn't think they were powder down birds like parrots, but I was just making sure. Also, if I get a canary can I only get one or do they need to be kept in pairs?
Many canary owners have just one. They supposedly don't like the company of others. If you get a male (only the males sing) you'd have to keep him separate anyway. If you get a hen they make little chirps - I actually like my hens.

That said, I have two or three to a cage. With a large enough cage there shouldn't be problems.

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
Many canary owners have just one. They supposedly don't like the company of others. If you get a male (only the males sing) you'd have to keep him separate anyway. If you get a hen they make little chirps - I actually like my hens.

That said, I have two or three to a cage. With a large enough cage there shouldn't be problems.
Oh ok thanks for the info, I was thinking maybe a female canary would be better since we are going to be moving into an apartment...I was a little concerned about the noise of a male singing all day

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
A female would be lovely. Or two females. The girls don't generally fight. They're sweet and just hang out together doing birdie things.

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
A female would be lovely. Or two females. The girls don't generally fight. They're sweet and just hang out together doing birdie things.
Is there any way to tell the difference between a male and female canary just by looking at them? I have a pet store close by that sells canaries. How would I tell if it is a male or female? Last time I went there they had this adorable canary there and it was sitting in a nest, but I have no idea if it was a male or female.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@finchly How long do finches and canaries live?

Last edited:

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
The males are usually more expensive than the females. If you want two canaries, I also vote for getting two females. Male canaries are best kept solitary; and yes, they can be loud.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is there any way to tell the difference between a male and female canary just by looking at them? I have a pet store close by that sells canaries. How would I tell if it is a male or female? Last time I went there they had this adorable canary there and it was sitting in a nest, but I have no idea if it was a male or female.
Not really you’d have to hear it sing. Although I’m thinking the big box stores specify which one they have, maybe there’s a price difference.