• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are scented laundry detergents okay to use around birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You can tell I'm a little bored with my All Free and Clear unscented laundry detergent....
I would still use it for the birdroom cleaning daily small load of washcloths, but for my own clothes maybe I can branch out? I even saw a time release freshness All detergent today. But thought i would check with you guys first....:D

Last edited:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
My Mom does all my laundry at her place and she uses the scented laundry detergent. Honestly by the time it is washed and dried it really doesn't smell much. Squeeky has been fine.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have never thought about laundry detergent before. I use All brand detergent and I like the Mountain fresh scent :)

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I remember someone having a bird that reacted badly (I think the bird started plucking?) to a switch in laundry detergent. I think it might have been someone on the Perch a couple years ago?? Not sure.

Anyway, I can't stand scented anything, so I only use the unscented laundry detergents and fabric softeners:D

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I make my own laundry detergent so it doesn't smell like anything and has no phosphates or anything harmful in it. And I use vinegar as softener. That being said, I do use dryer sheets that are scented but they don't make that much of a smell at all in my clothing.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
My birds have both been fine and I use scented :) However, I do use natural detergent and oxyclean when I wash their cage covers, and on the wash clothes I wipe their cages down with. Mainly, because their poop stains and I've found this combo is more effective than the scented stuff at getting out poo stains :D

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I make my own laundry detergent so it doesn't smell like anything and has no phosphates or anything harmful in it. And I use vinegar as softener. That being said, I do use dryer sheets that are scented but they don't make that much of a smell at all in my clothing.
haha, you are the first person other than my mom that I have known that makes their own laundry detergent, LOL! That is awesome! We use those dryer sheets too, the laundryroom in our house is on the opposite side of the house (away from the birdroom)

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
I remember someone having a bird that reacted badly (I think the bird started plucking?) to a switch in laundry detergent.
I react badly to a switch in laundry detergent! lol Anything I've tried other than Tide causes me to break out.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
How do you make your own laundry detergent? I am curious now.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
share with us how you make your own laundry detergent

mizbirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina
Last edited:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

haha, you are the first person other than my mom that I have known that makes their own laundry detergent, LOL! That is awesome! We use those dryer sheets too, the laundryroom in our house is on the opposite side of the house (away from the birdroom)
Well I have 3 kids so there's 5 of us and I make 5 gallons of detergent at a time for around $2-$3 for that amount. It takes me all of 20 minutes to make. I don't know why everyone doesn't do it! :hehe:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Here's the recipe I use!

Making Homemade Laundry Soap

I used to make dry detergent thinking it would be easier but I found that making liquid was easier. Putting bars of soap through a food processor isn't the easiest thing to do, but melting shredded soap in water on a stove is MUCH easier and the detergent goes much further...OH and it works with "HE"(High Efficiency) washers too!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Here's the recipe I use!

Making Homemade Laundry Soap

I used to make dry detergent thinking it would be easier but I found that making liquid was easier. Putting bars of soap through a food processor isn't the easiest thing to do, but melting shredded soap in water on a stove is MUCH easier and the detergent goes much further...OH and it works with "HE"(High Efficiency) washers too!
Thanks for the link Heather, my son had sent me a similar one (same recipe) a while back and I couldn't find it

he has made this and says it works great too:D

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

Thanks for the link Heather, my son had sent me a similar one (same recipe) a while back and I couldn't find it

he has made this and says it works great too:D
It works a lot better than the stuff I was paying big bucks for! I buy the fels naptha soap from a small grocery store that sells the bars and then I got the borax and washing soda from Giant. The huge boxes only cost a few dollars and makes TONS of detergent. I do double and triple recipes of the stuff. It literally costs me around $2 or so for 5+gallons of detergent. And I stopped using liquid softener a while ago because for some reason it builds up in my washing machine and leaves weird spots on my clothes that NEVER come back out! Can I tell you how mad I've been because half my workout shirts all had spots on them? Now if I need something softened I use vinegar.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Here's the calculations from the site:

Fels Naptha: $1.12 for a 5.5 oz bar. The recipes says use a 1/3 of a bar. I calculated 2 oz. just to make the math a little easier. The cost of the Fels Naptha per batch is: .40 cents

Washing Soda: $2.23 for a 55 oz. box. This came to .17 cents per batch. I calculated how much per oz (2.23 divided by 55) and then weighed a half cup of washing soda (4.2oz.) and multiplied my per oz. price by 4.2

Borax: $3.27 for a 76 oz. box. This came to .14 cents per batch. Did the same calculations as above, however a 1/2 cup of borax weighs 3.5 oz.

For the final numbers I have .40 + .17 + .14 = .71 for 2 gallons of laundry detergent.
So 71 cents for 2 gallons of detergent! My calculations of 5 gallons for $2 is about right then. You use a half cup for a load so 5 gallons would be 160 loads so that comes to about a penny a load! :omg:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Here's the calculations from the site:

So 71 cents for 2 gallons of detergent! My calculations of 5 gallons for $2 is about right then. You use a half cup for a load so 5 gallons would be 160 loads so that comes to about a penny a load! :omg:
WOW :eek:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
thanks for the recipe, I wish I would have done something like this while all my kids were still at home!

Status
Not open for further replies.