• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are rubber bands safe for birds?

Duel

Walking the driveway
My lovebird stumbled across one of my rubber bands and immediately started chewing on it and wouldn't stop dragging it around with him. I took it away for now since I'm 95% sure it's harmful for him so now I'm here just to verify it. If it is dangerous for him, is there any rubber like bird toy that I could get him that's similar? He really seemed to enjoy the rubber band and I'd like to get him a toy like it if rubber bands aren't ok.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What about a womens hairband? The thinner ones. Maybe he´ll enjoy that?

eg;
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Rubber is one of those things that some birds will eat if they can bite off little bits. If they just chew/play with it without biting off little chunks it should be safe under supervision.

A "closed ring" rubber band is a choking, tangling hazard. Cut it so its a string and not a loop.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I probably wouldn’t let my bird’s play with a rubber band, but they do like the hair ties/bands pictured above. When my daughter’s hair ties break, she gives them to the birds as an out of cage toy under supervision. Of course now they always try to get the one in her hair.