• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are plug outlets dangerous?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Now that I'm trying to rearrange Blu's room a bit I have an exposed outlet that looks like this

outlet-58e82f155f9b58ef7e9d2d37.jpg
I covered it today, with a book case (as an emergency safety measure) but I would eventually like to get rid
of the bookcase leaving that wall bare.

I thought of maybe getting those baby safety plastic thingies that you insert but I'm imagining that might bring more attention to it, and he'd probably pull those right out.

My other idea was to replace it with a blank plate like this

29373e6d-4754-46eb-9385-fd243c4d99e2_1000.jpg
But I would prefer to keep the plug exposed if I can cause I like to plug the night light in there, at night.

So my long winded question is...if he were to put his beak in the holes of the outlet, is that dangerous?

I'm thinking this is probably a stupid question but I'm hoping I'll be surprised to find out it's totally safe. Lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You could put in Tamper Resistant Outlets; they require equal pressure on both doors to the different sides of the plug in order to get access to the electricity.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You could put in Tamper Resistant Outlets; they require equal pressure on both doors to the different sides of the plug in order to get access to the electricity.
That's brilliant! Thank you!!!
I'll have to ask someone else to install them cause I'm afraid to do it myself but that's such a perfect solution. I really appreciate your help!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If your/my bird is ever smart enough to find a small metal object that it could manipulate and fashion into a tool that it could then skillfully be stuck into two different sockets at the same time. I quit.

My little brother did that when he was little. Kaboom. lol

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If your/my bird is ever smart enough to find a small metal object that it could manipulate and fashion into a tool that it could then skillfully be stuck into two different sockets at the same time. I quit.

My little brother did that when he was little. Kaboom. lol
My brother did that too.....remember the bobby pins?

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I must agree that I haven't worried about electric sockets. I can see your concern but my home is really old and the sockets are about six inches from the ground and the same color as the paint (doesn't stand out). Mine have never ever shown an interest in the socket. Now plugged in electrical cords, which our pets like to sometimes chew, if we are negligent, could hurt them.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sorry, I'm a little slow today :what:
Are you guys saying tamper resistant outlets are not necessary?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sorry, I'm a little slow today :what:
Are you guys saying tamper resistant outlets are not necessary?

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I personally don't usually worry about them for the birds. Now I do use the little child safety ones for the kids tho. They're just little plastic things that fit into them.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I personally don't usually worry about them for the birds. Now I do use the little child safety ones for the kids tho. They're just little plastic things that fit into them.
Thank you! I probably shouldn't worry about it either but Blu is the type of bird that gets into everything. So if there's even a small chance it's dangerous, I'd like to do all I can not to have to worry.

These look fantastic! Thank you!!!

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I understand your worry.
My lovebird is obsessed with one outlet in the bathroom, that is under the counter shelf with just the drawer. She has to fly to it to attach herself, and then gazes up at the dark 1" space between the drawer and the cabinet.
I, too, worry that if her nails are long enough they could reach the metal parts inside the outlet. It would have to be both nails at the same time to cause a short. I guess her nails are short.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
My husband is an electrician, I'm going to ask him when he gets home from work today. This topic really has me curious as to how big of an issue it really is. Because another thing to think about is the big child proof covers are putting long plastic pieces in there with no issue. So wouldn't the birds nail need to be longer than that to cause a problem? I would think the birds with nails anywhere near long enough would be too big then the little birds that could fit would be too short to reach.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My husband is an electrician, I'm going to ask him when he gets home from work today. This topic really has me curious as to how big of an issue it really is. Because another thing to think about is the big child proof covers are putting long plastic pieces in there with no issue. So wouldn't the birds nail need to be longer than that to cause a problem? I would think the birds with nails anywhere near long enough would be too big then the little birds that could fit would be too short to reach.

The type of plastic that they use for those outlet covers do not conduct electricity.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks for asking your husband. I had to leave in a hurry and had to use the bookshelf to cover this cabinet that Blu has been "personalizing" so the outlet is exposed today. I doubt he's going to mess with it today bit eventually he may discover it so I'm curious too.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
The type of plastic that they use for those outlet covers do not conduct electricity.

Right, but I also don't think a bird's nail would either. Now a bobby pin or something like that if you had a big enough bird shoving it in there it would be a problem. My point was just the fingernail itself would be similar to the plastic.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Right, but I also don't think a bird's nail would either. Now a bobby pin or something like that if you had a big enough bird shoving it in there it would be a problem. My point was just the fingernail itself would be similar to the plastic.

Gotcha! Well, I know fingernails don't conduct electricity or they would work on capacitive touchscreens. I guess see if the bird can activate a touchscreen with just a talon? Since they have active blood through theirs to some degree, I'm not sure what would happen!

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
My husband said if the quick was super long the blood could conduct electricitiy but we're talking some pretty LONG thin nails here. So I think the verdict is that its not likely at all. So I mean I guess it technically is possible. I'd just buy the little toddler safety covers if you're really worried.