• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are plastic bottle caps safe as chew toys.

Rusty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Russell
Hi,
I have a Cape parrot that loves chewing plastic bottle caps to little pieces, the ones I give her are from 1 gallon gatoraid and Ice Tea jugs. I'm just concerned wether this is safe or not.

Thanks,
Russ

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I wouldn't think they're bad for them. I get mine stolen by Ralphie on occasion.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I boil mine for a few minutes, let them cool, and then disperse as foot toys or drill to thread on toys for later :)

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Douglas loves his! If it's a pop one I just rince it out really well and wash it. But I usually leave the ginger ale ones as is and he loves it :)

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
my guys love plastic bottle tops and use them as foot toys. None of my guys has ever had a problem with them.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
My Quaker absolutely loves them! She plays with them more than her toys. It's a great inexpensive toy to keep her busy! Does anyone give the bottles? I thought about trying to make a foraging toy from the bottles

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Excellent. Burt has taken an interest in them but I have been unsure if they would be ok for him to play with or not. He seems to like the ridges on the sides of them and also the thread on the inside of the lids.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy is a plastic murderer. I bought some of those little mugs on amazon from a bird vendor & its the first plastic I wasn't afraid he'd chew & possibly swallow. Buddy will not apply the Amazon jaw to open a nut but plastic...

I'm probably overly paranoid because I read they can ingest small pieces of plastic & impact their crop. So unless its un-marrable like those little cups or acrylic, a certain approved baby toy if totally supervised... I avoid.

:bluhug: Rain

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Those little cups are one of the few bits of plastic that Burt loves to crush and smash so as much as he loves them and the dummies I do not know if they are worth the cost for the amount of time he is able to use them. I think the bottle tops will do as they will cost me nothing........I will be going to see the local pub owners and ask them if they will save them for me, they save them for the preschool from time to time.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
I would say it depends on the bird. My last Grey, Isoke, absolutely loved plastic bottle caps (and omg the 'rings' you pull off milk caps!) My Goffin's 'too, Diva , however, I didn't trust her to play with them safely; she shredded them and I was afraid she would/was eating the little curls of plastic.