• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are pellets good for cockatiels?

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
i have lutino cockatiel, and I want to give her a really good diet. right now I'm giving her Sunburst Gourmet Food Mix for cockatiels and I pick out some of the sunflower seeds because I know they are really fatty, and I mix in Nutri Berries parakeet food I don't know why the place where I got her gave me the parakeet one, and I crush up Hartz Wholesome Select Cockatiel treat and mix it in too, I feel like this isn't good for Riley. She doesn't eat veggitables yet I'm working on introducing it to her. I would like to know if pellets are good for them. Here's a picture of the food. What do you feed your birds? By the way what I'm feeding her now if what the pet store gave me.

Attachments

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
My tiels will eat Roudybush crumbles.
You could try Zupreem natural or fruity (then transition to the natural tan colored ones).

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
My tiels will eat Roudybush crumbles.
You could try Zupreem natural or fruity (then transition to the natural tan colored ones).
Could I try what you're using or do I have to use colorful fruity ones first? And how can get Riley to eat them?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My teils like the Zupreem fruity pellets. They won't touch the natural color ones, but,hey, it's better than nothing.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Yes, you can start off with the Roudybush.
But They started with Zupreem fruity pellets first because they weren't sure about the brown ones.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If she's eating nutriberries, she really doesn't need pellets too. But you can give them to her. Cockatiels are granivors. So they eat a lot of grain, naturally. I would feed my tiel about 50% seeds, about 10% nutriberries and the rest vegetables, rice, etc.

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
My girl was on all seeded diet . We switched her to the Zupreem fruit and eventually to the naturals and she loves it.

Cassandra.c87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cassandra
Yes pellets are good for them but it's not the holy grail of foods it's claimed to be. Personally I would stick to the seed and Nutri Berries for now and continue to work on introducing vegitables, better to start on that then eventually get to pellets later on if you wish. How are you offering the veggies? I know chop is usually recommended but I found some of mine took to hanging larger pieces to a bird skewer or things like spinich, kale and herbs hung up with a clothes peg got them started. You could also try sprouting seeds, grains and beans. Sprouting gives them the nutients but cuts down the fat content, great for sunflower seeds

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't go with a 100% pellet diet. Would use a high quality seed mix and combine with pellets. Also offer fresh fruits and veggies or even cooked mixed veggies. Avicakes are also something good to add to the diet but I use them as treats and my 'tiels don't get them daily.

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Yes pellets are good for them but it's not the holy grail of foods it's claimed to be. Personally I would stick to the seed and Nutri Berries for now and continue to work on introducing vegitables, better to start on that then eventually get to pellets later on if you wish. How are you offering the veggies? I know chop is usually recommended but I found some of mine took to hanging larger pieces to a bird skewer or things like spinich, kale and herbs hung up with a clothes peg got them started. You could also try sprouting seeds, grains and beans. Sprouting gives them the nutients but cuts down the fat content, great for sunflower seeds
I'm trying to eat veggies hoping she will try it :) I'll try your technique too!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Cockatiels should eat a variety of fresh foods along with pellets and seeds. I do 50% seeds and 50% pellets.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Tiel Feathers and I have the same vet... so......... our recommendation is the same! LOL

As far as the Nutriberries go...... seriously, don't worry about what type you were given! It doesn't matter if it's the parakeet blend, or the large parrot blend, they have the same exact ingredients!

As far as fresh foods go, I've found that sometimes it helps to start off with something the birds are kind of familiar with, such as seeds. Start with a good, clean mix (not bird seed from a pet store!) and sprout it. Feed this every day for at least a week. If your bird will eat it, then add in one chopped up vegetable for a week. If they are okay with that, try adding in another vegetable the following week and so forth.

A lot of birds also go for a chopped diet because it has a variety of colors and textures. For the pickier guys, it may help to sprinkle seeds on top.

Check out these two threads.
Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists & More | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

And below are pictures of my most recent sprouts and chop mix. I sprouted the seeds, then added in vegetables and a little bit of fruit to the mixture. Took some of the chop mix to the last bird club meeting of ours and some of the birds were enjoying eating it! Including one bird I was told doesn't like vegetables! ;)

Sprouts.jpg

SproutsChop.jpg

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@Monica I love the idea of adding just one veggie at a time!

I just wanted to let everyone know that Monica's chop was awesome, and it was so great that she brought some to our birdie picnic! She inspired me to make chop again, so so will be making some this week!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I think I may have inspired some other people to try new foods with their birds, too! :) It was honestly a much bigger hit than I anticipated! :dance4:

I haven't made chop in a long while (hectic life... :() so have been feeling pretty guilty that the birds have been eating mainly seeds and pellets. Casey was quite happy to see fresh food again, where-as Charlie was like "What the hell is this stuff?!?!? I already had some! This is not what goes in my dish!" :roflmao: But then, he is the most "picky" eater. He'll eat fresh foods, he'd just prefer seeds or pellets instead!

I wasn't able to add in everything that I wanted to, but what was included is below...

• Pomegranate Seeds
  • Blueberries
  • Bell Pepper
    • Green
    • Red
    • Orange
  • Butternut Squash
  • Broccoli Florets
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Spinach
  • Mustard Greens
  • Green Beans
  • Arugula
  • Kale

Wanted to include carrots and jalapenos as well, but was running late as it was!

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Tiel Feathers and I have the same vet... so......... our recommendation is the same! LOL

As far as the Nutriberries go...... seriously, don't worry about what type you were given! It doesn't matter if it's the parakeet blend, or the large parrot blend, they have the same exact ingredients!

As far as fresh foods go, I've found that sometimes it helps to start off with something the birds are kind of familiar with, such as seeds. Start with a good, clean mix (not bird seed from a pet store!) and sprout it. Feed this every day for at least a week. If your bird will eat it, then add in one chopped up vegetable for a week. If they are okay with that, try adding in another vegetable the following week and so forth.

A lot of birds also go for a chopped diet because it has a variety of colors and textures. For the pickier guys, it may help to sprinkle seeds on top.

Check out these two threads.
Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists & More | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

And below are pictures of my most recent sprouts and chop mix. I sprouted the seeds, then added in vegetables and a little bit of fruit to the mixture. Took some of the chop mix to the last bird club meeting of ours and some of the birds were enjoying eating it! Including one bird I was told doesn't like vegetables! ;)

View attachment 252065

View attachment 252066
Thank you! This is very helpful!!!!

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
I've seen many recommendations of Either Harrison's or Roudybush pellets, I'm planning on feeding my future tiel a mixture of the two.