• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are mirrors good?

yellowfeathers

Meeting neighbors
I was just wondering if mirrors are actually safe for budgies. I have heard about mirrors being good for some birds but bad for others because they can become obsessed with them.

I only have one bird but I can't give him attention for the majority of the day. His mirror is in a position where he can't see it from his favourite perch and needs to climb to get to it. The only problem is that he seems to be spending more time then he used to talking to his reflection.

Should I take it out?

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
In doing research with birds, I watched a Youtube show called "Flock Talk" and the person states that the mirrors not only are bad for the birds as they can become obsessed, it also messes with their eyes. Apparently our parrot's and parakeet's eyes are pretty sensitive (more than ours) and mirrors and screw up the way they see things. Here is a link to the avoid buying and tips I watched.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would probably take the mirror out, it sounds like he's becoming obsessed. Make sure he has plenty of foraging opportunities and toys to keep him busy.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have a swing that has two little mirrors on it. It's exactly like the one Chirp was on when I first saw him in the pet store. He loves it to bits, and I sadly can't put it in anymore because if I do, he'll sit there all day chattering and making kissy noises to his reflection. So it's just best to take it out.

Side note, I love Flock Talk! That channel was where I learned to make sprouts :) I wish she uploaded more, but I get that life happens :)

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I agree @taxidermynerd! I love the way she cares so much. I watched until she got a little goofy with her cute boyfriend and he wasn't a "bird" person. It turned me off. I could tell she was trying to get him involved and he wasn't into it. He didn't seem very supportive and she seems so sweet.

I watched all of those! Oh gosh, I read everything I could get my hands on, I interviewed avian vets and had long talks before I even thought about getting a bird. I didn't watch the sprouts but I've watched most just for fun. I don't plan to train my birds like she has her little friends. I just want them to do whatever they want and eat good food, be happy and let me watch once in a while. Gosh that sounds creepy.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have had several budgies over the years and all of them enjoyed mirrors. Many members here don't like them for a bird. We use the word obsessed but I don't think my birds ever were overly bonded to a mirror. I will suggest a budgie cage mate for your bird would be better than a mirror since they have strong flock instincts plus you are gone so often

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I tried a mirror once with Koopa. She was really confused and kept crawling behind the mirror trying to find the other bird. Then she ignored it when there was no bird lol