• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Are his nails still too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been gradually filling Java's nails over the course of about two weeks, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting anywhere. Any ideas?
20181014_114233.jpg

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I use a small circular nail cutter thing on my Maxi Dobby and all of my others before him. I usually start out a bit high because like Java they have black nails and you can't see the artery inside so it's easy to go too far and make them bleed. I keep some styptic type powder around just in case to dip the nail in if I accidentally go too far and that will stop the bleeding. I think last time I used some flour which worked fine, Nerd didn't seem bothered by it at all and it stopped right away.

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you talking about a dremel? I've used one on him once but I didn't feel comfortable with it because it wasn't filling the nail and I didn't want to put him under any further stress.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
No, I used the small bird nail clipper things, or just a regular nail clipper and just chop off a small bit at a time. The vein will die back and you can chop a bit more after a week or so till you get it where you want it. Lurches nails were very short when I got him but they grew out very long as he wasn't really very friendly at first and I was just trying to earn his trust for a long time. Once we were friends I'd usually just either get the longest ones through the bars or two of us would hold him and nip things down a bit as long as he wasn't freaking completely out.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay. So should I wait a week between each trim or a couple of days? And how will I know when the quick has receded?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well, maybe a couple of days at the earliest just in case I'd think. You should be able to buy the bird/cat/small animal clippers at like Petco or Amazon I'd think if you want to get one. I'm sure somebody with a lot more birds and experience should jump in here with any other pointers or info that will help. Sometimes I could take off like an 8th of a inch at a time when his nails were really long but if you go too far you'll know right away.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, maybe a couple of days at the earliest just in case I'd think. You should be able to buy the bird/cat/small animal clippers at like Petco or Amazon I'd think if you want to get one. I'm sure somebody with a lot more birds and experience should jump in here with any other pointers or info that will help. Sometimes I could take off like an 8th of a inch at a time when his nails were really long but if you go too far you'll know right away.
Alright, thank you

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I am no expert, but they look ok to me. Yes, they're long, but they look healthy/thick and are nicely rounded at the ends. He doesn't look like he'd be likely to catch them on something, like he might it they had little needle ends.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am no expert, but they look ok to me. Yes, they're long, but they look healthy/thick and are nicely rounded at the ends. He doesn't look like he'd be likely to catch them on something, like he might it they had little needle ends.
Those two back nails are the most problematic. When he perches, they're both always curled under his toe, and it doesn't look painful, but I don't imagine it would feel good. I can never seem to file the curve down enough.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
That may be just how they are. Rupert's look pretty much like yours. All I ever do is nip the needle ends off. If he'd let me file them, I would, but I'll settle for just removing the ends. Even on a totally flat surface, the nails will somewhat keep part of the toes off the ground. Or the nails will go off to one side.

As long as he doesn't seem bothered, I wouldn't be either.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That may be just how they are. Rupert's look pretty much like yours. All I ever do is nip the needle ends off. If he'd let me file them, I would, but I'll settle for just removing the ends. Even on a totally flat surface, the nails will somewhat keep part of the toes off the ground. Or the nails will go off to one side.

As long as he doesn't seem bothered, I wouldn't be either.
Oh, okay! I thought if they curled, then it meant they were too long. Good to know that it's nothing to be too concerned about. Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The way I determine if they are too long is if they are standing on a flat surface, does the foot lay flat? If the nails cause the toes to come off the surface or roll, then they are too long. That is an unscientific way maybe lol but it is my guideline

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The way I determine if they are too long is if they are standing on a flat surface, does the foot lay flat? If the nails cause the toes to come off the surface or roll, then they are too long. That is an unscientific way maybe lol but it is my guideline
Yeah, his toes never touch the surface he's standing on

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think you should keep trying to file them and post lots more videos. :embarassed: That first one was a riot. And I loved how calm you were when he was throwing the file. Such a good bird momma. :hug8:

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you :)
I actually took a short video of him earlier when my sister held him on his back. I thought about posting it, but I wasn't sure if people were tired of all the pictures and videos.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I actually took a short video of him earlier when my sister held him on his back. I thought about posting it, but I wasn't sure if people were tired of all the pictures and videos.
Nope. :popcorn:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Alright! Then I'll upload a brief video of him on a new thread. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.