• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are hard plastic buttons safe?

lventer

Meeting neighbors
Would be for a small conure. I've just been given a big stash of old craft supplies and there's a huge assortment of colorful buttons in there. They're reasonably thick (1-2mm) solid plastic and range in diameter between 10mm/0.39" and 20mm/0.75". They're not painted or anything, just coloured plastic, and regular sew-through, not shank buttons, so nothing for beaks or toes to get stuck in. Can I string up the larger ones on some jute twine (knotted between each button so they don't all go flying if birdie bites through) and hang them from my orbiter perch? They probably wouldn't be much fun to chew but they make a nice clinking/jingling sound and I could stuff seeds into the buttonholes for foraging. Would the 10mm ones be too small/a choking hazard if they come free? What is the max length of string I can hang before strangulation/getting trapped becomes a genuine worry?

The only other thing I could think of would be to slide a bunch onto some stainless steel wire and fix it tightly across the corner of the cage or between the branches of a y-shaped perch, like one of those sliding bead maze toys for babies. Any thoughts? Would wooden beads be safer/more fun?

There's also some loose novelty type buttons that I'd love to use (mostly the sea creatures and sunflowers) but they're either glittery or are made of separate pieces of plastic fitted together, so they could potentially be pulled apart by a particularly eager beak.

16375439681601679632050136515169.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Plastic buttons should be safe :)

lventer

Meeting neighbors
Plastic buttons should be safe :)
Yay! Do you think the 10mm ones would be too small? I don't think they'd be able to swallow them but I'm not sure if they could potentially get lodged in their beak.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
What type of plastic is not safe? I think there are some that are not, and it would be nice to know how

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yay! Do you think the 10mm ones would be too small? I don't think they'd be able to swallow them but I'm not sure if they could potentially get lodged in their beak.
It depends on the bird, but pony beads are usually considered safe and those are 9mm :)