• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are greys more prone to plucking?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I see a lot of greys on social media that have issues with plucking - more than I see with any other species. Obviously, that could just be more greys on social media than other species, but still - it made me curious.

Are greys more prone? If so, why?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I definitely seem to notice more greys and cockatoos, and to a lesser degree large macaws, that are pluckers. Maybe partly because it's just so hard to adequately provide everything these larger birds need, particularly ample space to fly, natural sunlight, and a flock.

I don't know if this is what it is, but it's my hunch.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I definitely seem to notice more greys and cockatoos, and to a lesser degree large macaws, that are pluckers. Maybe partly because it's just so hard to adequately provide everything these larger birds need, particularly ample space to fly, natural sunlight, and a flock.

I don't know if this is what it is, but it's my hunch.
I wondered if it was because they're so smart that they're difficult to keep engaged.

I have noticed a lot of cockatoos as well that pluck (exactly what I don't need to notice:cautious:) but I swear sooooo many greys seem to do it.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Some species like Amazons , budgie, are less likely. Gcc used to be very rare

The more complex large social society species ( a little different than large flocking budgie) like quakers, toos, greys , it's definitely more common, macaws maybe linked with their being a pair bond species and longer development time , eclectus have odd sociol several males to one female and unique diet needs abd a tree top species..a lot of needs more challenging I think .

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I agree with the more intelligent theory. Because they are highly intelligent they do not tolerate a lack of stimulation very well. Also because they can be so long lived, they are more likely to have to change owners and that can be very stressful. In addition with such a long lived bird, a lot of people are not able to. sustain their interest in the time and effort to truly do these creatures justice. I absolutely adored my Walter but there were times in my life when it was more difficult to give him everything and I was very dedicated to him.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I’ve noticed a lot of greys on rehoming sites that are pluckers too

are you thinking of a grey ?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
are you thinking of a grey ?
Not even a little bit :roflmao: the diva keeps me too busy. She's a jealous thing.

Plus, I honestly don't think I'm equipped to take on something like that. A bird that's smarter than me, with neurotic tendencies? Noooo thank you:lol:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not even a little bit :roflmao: the diva keeps me too busy. She's a jealous thing.

Plus, I honestly don't think I'm equipped to take on something like that. A bird that's smarter than me, with neurotic tendencies? Noooo thank you:lol:
I feel you on that,I've long admired Grey's over the years especially for their very pleasing looks but their intelligence always worried me too much.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
You worry about the grays but I am terrified of the Toos. I wish I was in a position to take on another Grey…

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
You worry about the grays but I am terrified of the Toos. I wish I was in a position to take on another Grey…
Whereas I'd take in another too if mine would let me :lol:

I really want to meet a grey in real life -I think they're stunningly gorgeous, and their intelligence is intimidating. I would love to meet one.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am with you I would have a grey over a too

my old next door neighbour had one and at three he became so aggressive with them I went round and he was saying step up to me so tried he step up straight away I had him at mine for a month and so wish I was in position to keep him but he was scared to death of my dog and would throw himself on cage floor any time he saw max and our house at time was tiny I couldn’t separate them
In that month he learned to make mimic my voice and thought it was so funny to ask my husband for a cup of tea then laugh like me I was in bath and hubby thought he was going mad haha :rofl:
She sold Alfie to a breeder I had to get him in travel cage as he would only step up for me broke my heart probably could have kept him too as hubby got back in army a month later and he’s house had separate dinning room but it just wasn’t meant to be plus I get that he would have quite easily got that aggressive with me too but I think they hissed at him and banged cage because he would hiss make a bang noise on mental and say Alfie you fing c word in the husband voice when he thought he was either being too loud or dropped his food on floor I just said it ok good boy Alfie and he added that line to that sentence after two weeks they are so so clever birds he did amaze me but I also got it was like having a toddler 24/7 which for how long they live I can imagine is super hard but he did leave a massive soft spot for greys in my heart

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
he did leave a massive soft spot for greys in my heart
I see greys for rehoming regularly here - maybe you can find one there? Or are they less common?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I see greys for rehoming regularly here - maybe you can find one there? Or are they less common?
A few come up not too many though but I think a grey would be a when we get our own house or have my dining room back instead of a toy room haha :rofl:
Plus I don’t think a grey would fit in my flock I think I would want a grey to be my only bird

OrangIsld

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jackson
I think i also see a lot more greys plucking because more people adopt them because they like the novelty of a smart talking bird from tiktok. Same goes for toos, since they have high emotional intelligence, they also have a higher chance for self injury as well.