• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Enviro-Logs safe to burn around birds?

Gallows

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
They're made of 100% recycled waxed cardboard, but I'm not too sure if they're safe to burn around my birds consistently. Any thoughts?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Agree with hrafn - smoke from anything is not good around our birds.

Flynn

Strolling the yard
If it's an absolute must, I would invest in a high quality air purifier and place it right next to wherever it's being burned. (Along with moving the bird cage as far away as possible). Be as careful as possible. Good luck!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Truthfully they aren't very good for you or your fireplace. When they burn they leave a coating inside the chimney that builds up to the point of becoming a fire hazard if not cleaned regularly.

Having said that it's not so important what you burn in a modern efficient fireplace because the fire gases never mix with the room air (two chamber system).

If it is just a regular firebox with a chimney then there is quite a bit more risk because the two airs mix. Also for example if you light a fire in a cold fireplace/chimney there is a good chance of blow back, filling the room with smoke.

If your fireplace is like this you can burn anything.
IMG_3650.jpg

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
That is a NO