1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are diamond doves powder-down birds?

Discussion in 'Poultry Row' started by ElisaDove81, 5/6/19.

1. ElisaDove81

ElisaDove81 Meeting neighbors

Elisa
    Does anyone here own diamonds doves and would you be able to tell me if they are considered powder-down birds? Are they very dusty? Would someone with allergies be able to have them?

2. Zara

Zara Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    ElisaDove81 likes this.
  3. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    I've never had a diamond dove but was supposed to foster a pair (who got adopted) and did some research. I believe they are dusty but I'm not sure how dusty as compared to cockatoos, etc. As for allergies, it really depends. For instance, I'm allergic to cats but cockatoo/cockatiel dust doesn't bother me. Air purifiers can also help.

4. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Doves are not very dusty..:) My hubby has allergies and even the tiels dont bother him..

ElisaDove81 and sunnysmom like this.
  5. ElisaDove81

Elisa
    The reason I am asking is because I am allergic to regular dust and was afraid the bird dust may cause me problems. But I know diamond doves are very small birds not like a regular dove or pigeon so they definitely wouldn't produce that much dust I don't think. I am getting an allergy test done soon so I will be able to figure out if I am allergic to birds. I hope I am not but I wanted to find out before I bought one just to be on the safe side. I would hate to have to rehome one if I bought it and found out I was allergic :(

sunnysmom likes this.
  6. Lincee

Lincee Rollerblading along the road

Jan
    I have two diamond doves, currently in home waiting for the summer so they can go in the aviary, i havent noticed any dust like i did from my parrots :) I think when you air the room daily you’ll be safe :)

7. ElisaDove81

Elisa
    Thanks! I was thinking about getting one soon, I think they are small enough to be okay dust wise

12345678910112 and Lincee like this.
  8. Lincee

Jan
    Mine are currently in the outdoor aviary, they made a nest in the indoor cage, i figured i’ll just hang it in the aviary and not expect anything, but low and behold, they continued breeding inmediatly :)

ElisaDove81 likes this.
  9. Lincee

Jan
    Our adult birds on their nest, and little bird we called Freddy

Attached Files:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)