• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are bells safe?

Roseicollis

Meeting neighbors
Read somewhere that bells with an accessible clapper are not safe for birds.

Does this still apply for birds that don’t chew (ex. Bourkes)? I find that the SS pipe bells might be too bulky and heavy for the smaller parrots to use.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on the bird. None of my birds have ever messed with the clapper (2 Quakers, a green cheek, and a hahns). Some bells are constructed better than others too.

For species that don't chew, I'd say they are likely safe.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I agree, it depends on the bird. Henkie plays with the clapper a bit sometimes, but usually leaves it alone. Fëanor had zero interest in it and neither did my Tiel.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I sell a Stainless Steel Pipe Bell in 3 different sizes. These are a safer alternative to bells. The clapper is a larger piece of Stainless Steel that is a couple of inches in length and is welded.
You can find them here:
Welcome to cabirdnerds.com -

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Read somewhere that bells with an accessible clapper are not safe for birds.

Does this still apply for birds that don’t chew (ex. Bourkes)? I find that the SS pipe bells might be too bulky and heavy for the smaller parrots to use.
The small stainless steel pipe bell weight is less than 3 oz including the chain and pear link.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure too that you don't give your birds the jingle bells (ball shaped bells). They can get tongue, toes, etc caught in them making them unsafe. On the liberty bells and cow bells check to see how they are attached and maybe pull on the clapper or play with it the same way your birds would it will give you an idea as to if the bell is big enough and well made enough for your birds. Also make sure it's stainless steel or nickle plated.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I'm not sure I get this. What is the danger? Cheeky bells are all nickel plated and she does play with the clappers. She once got a clapper disconnected from a smaller one (all are bigger now) and she just mouthed it till she dropped it. There was no sharp metal part to cut her and it's too big to eat.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm not sure I get this. What is the danger? Cheeky bells are all nickel plated and she does play with the clappers. She once got a clapper disconnected from a smaller one (all are bigger now) and she just mouthed it till she dropped it. There was no sharp metal part to cut her and it's too big to eat.

Some birds get the clapper out and then ingest it

Or, the clapper has a small opening at the top made by removing it, which can get caught on the beak

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Ok. Thanks. None of her clappers are small enough to swallow and looking at them I don't think she can break these bigger ones. She has a couple of really BIG bells in her cage that I got by mistake and she loves to grab them and make them ring.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I see this is an older thread but have a follow up question as I prepare for birdie to come home.
We got a climbing/chewing wooden toy as a gift with one of the cow bells at the bottom. I am less worried about the clapper than I am about my little GCC getting his head stuck in there. Anyone know if that's a rational fear? I'm considering using pliers to remove the bell and just replace it with something safer.
Here is the toy for reference:
Pet Supplies : Pet Toys : Paradise Toys Slats 2 Chew, 3-1/2-Inch W by 14-Inch L : Amazon.com

Last edited: