• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Baby Wipes Safe?

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I wear makeup sometimes, but when I take it off I use a Pampers *sensitive* wipe to take off most of the stuff, then I wash my face.
I wanted to know if these are safe to use on birds if they ever get into something that is tougher to get off than just dirt (like peanut butter or oil).

These ones are ethanol and alcohol free.
The ingredients are: Water, Glycerin, Aloe Leaf Juice, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, PED-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sodium Citrate, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Bynzyl Alcohol, Xanthum Gum, Sodium Benzonate, BIS-PEG/PPG-16/16 PEG/PPG-16/16 Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Bisabolol, Chamomile flower extract.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they get something crazy on them, the best bet is to treat them like a duck in an oil spill - Original Blue Dawn dishsoap and water :) Some people also have had luck with certain things (like gum) by using coconut oil.

Basically, I have no problem using baby wipes on surfaces that the birds might come into contact (door handles, the floor, desks, etc) but I would not use it on their body/feathers - the less foreign stuff you introduce to them the better.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I use homebrand no fragrance wipes which is used to wipe up the poop, but the FIDs also use them to play with and roll around in. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I use homebrand no fragrance wipes which is used to wipe up the poop, but the FIDs also use them to play with and roll around in. :)

You should look at the ingredients JAM. Just because they have no "scent" doesn't mean the harmful chemicals aren't still there. Wiping surfaces etc. is one thing. Letting them chew and play with them is another.

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I like that fact that I know what about 80% of the ingredients are on the list up there, and most of them are completely non-toxic. Sodium citrate, chamomile, xanthum gum, Aloe, citric acid. At the very least I could be 80% sure the bird is ok, but you're right, the other 20% is what worries me.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You should look at the ingredients JAM. Just because they have no "scent" doesn't mean the harmful chemicals aren't still there. Wiping surfaces etc. is one thing. Letting them chew and play with them is another.
Embarrassingly I haven't paid close attention to that, I will look at them tonight and google what is in them. Normally when they play with them they love them wet so I've usually soaked them in water to make them even more fun to play with as they don't tear like paper towels and tissues do, meaning less messy bits to clean up!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
No you can't , they have chemicals in them that ARE NOT SAFE! !!!!!!!!!! For humans they are safe but for feathered kids NO WAY. ......

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They do make baby wipes now (since this thread is almost 5 years old!) called Water Wipes. They are 99.9% water and the remainder is Grapefruit Seed Extract. I used these for my son, and now keep them on hand!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Yup I know but they are BIG bucks here too

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If something gets on my bird, like poop on his foot, I grab a paper towel and get it nice and damp with water and just wipe it off that way. One time there was dried, caked poop all over Rupert's beak (yuck!!), and I put a tiny bit of poop-off on a paper towel and wiped his beak with that. He wasn't thrilled, but it took it right off.