• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Amazon toys usually safe?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Unfortunately none of the AA vendors are in Europe. Only USA and Canada :(
Me and @Imogena are both in EU. I´m not sure where OP is located but If I was in the US or Canada I would also only buy from AA vendors.
I have never purchased anything from Amazon for my birds.

I'd check out sites like Etsy. There are a few vendors here that started their shops on etsy, and there are vendors from all over the world making different things. It's also super easy to contact the shop owners to ask questions, in case you're unsure of metals, etc.

Other than that, look at the manufacturers of toys that local pet stores carry, or even check the websites for exotic/bird shops around the EU. Typically bird stores will carry more variety, and give you ideas on what toy makers you can trust.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yep, I started on Etsy! Lots of toys on there from all over the world!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
We go thru a ton of chew toys and a budget set aside each month just to keep my babies in goodies. The vendors on AA are WONDERFUL! I have bought toys from many of them and have always been more than pleased with everything. I also buy parts (mainly wooden) from reputable vendors like Cali Bird Nerds. I use making toys with my babies as a way to bond with them as well as get them to play nice together. Each baby gets all excited when I pull out the boxes of toy parts and run over to get involved! Granted with all their help our toys aren't as pretty as the pro's on AA make, but we have a lot of fun together!

Attachments

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 10.59.26 AM.png
I've been looking through the vendors you guys posted and among the things I want to get, I saw this really cuddly looking tent! I've read that snuggle huts aren't safe (almost got one from petco) but this one should be ok because it's from a bird person? It's advertised as being made from cotton and anti-pill fleece. Just wanted to double check first before I get it!!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That is adorable!!! I tried a few different styles of tents (fabric, grass mats, and raffia/wicker) but my crew just shredded them! I think they are so cute and "homey" looking in the cages!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara and @Imogena if shipping from the UK isn't prohibitive, I LOVE the Natural Bird Co parrot perches, natural wood perches, parrot toys, safe parrot toy making parts, bird accessories, bird perches

Scarletts Parrot Essentials and Northern Parrots are also UK-based, but you'll have to check shipping: Scarletts Parrot Essentials - Toys, Cages, Stands and More! | scarletts parrot and Parrot Supplies | Parrot Shop | Parrot Accessories – Northern Parrots

Either way, you'll probably have to get orders in quickly because I don't know how Brexit will affect customs and import tax.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@tka I was checking out the Scarletts website the other day. I think I may use them in the future. Shipping is no big deal for me. I get stuff posted to my parents house and they bring me stuff via plane.
I have done this with lots of things, bird toys, books, clothes, a rice maker and recently dummy eggs (my parents arrived today so they brought the eggs I ordered last week).

I had a thread a while back and all 3 of those websites were mentioned :) They all seem pretty good

Reactions: tka

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oooooh @tka the naturalbird site has a 100 piece toy making kit for 20 quid :D 20p a piece? Nice! ❤ I think I might place an order before April when my mum is back over :)

Reactions: tka

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara NICE! I'm tempted...