• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aracari?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Wasnt sure where to post this because I am not familiar with this species. My husband has shown interest in any species that resembles a toucan (he's obsessed!) and asked me to ask about the aracari to see if we could get more information on them. Just curious. Any help would be appreciated. @Calpurnia dont you have one?

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Yes we have Kevin and Ivory-billed aracari. They are supposed to be tied for second smallest species in the toucan family. :) The thread Shawna linked is a good one for more background on life with Kevin as well as this one:

Strongly Considering an Aracari

Not much has changed in a year, other than a little diet stuff. Kevin does seems to be hitting a certain age though (can I call it puberty? what does aracari puberty even look like?!) or maybe his personality is maturing. He's been super mean to Julian lately :shifty:, though I'm going to blame it on Julian's month long hiatus in a hospital tub for an injury. I'm hoping the phase passes so I can get my two cute snuggly boys back together!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Having helped care for 3 (1 curl crested, 2 green), I will say you better have a hose and/or a steam cleaner on hand!

The ones I got to help care for had "toucan pellets" available to them 24/7 and were fed fresh fruits (and the occasional vegetable) twice a day! No citrus fruits, though!

Jason Crean has a lot of great information in regards to diet! He's got a feeding chart of foods to feed toucans! Makes it simple!

Toucans EmeraldForestBirds.com
Beaks Birdhouse Nutrition
MRCREAN.COM

Despite their small size, you *WILL* need either a walk in aviary *OR* a cage large enough to house either a large cockatoo or a macaw! They don't climb, they hop! So they need enough space that they can hop around to the various perches!

Care also needs to be taken on the type of toys one provides to toucans and aracaris. Toys with beads could be dangerous!

I heard that many toucans in zoos are often fed a cantaloupe based diet. The ones I helped care for had a papaya based diet most of the time...

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
This is why I love this forum! Despite how adorable they are and the fact that my husband loves toucans, we have decided against this species