• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Apple seeds

zuzanqa

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zuz
Pwnguin ate a couple apple seeds :(
Not the whole thing but def a little bit of each seed. Should I be worried?

Budgiebuddy

Meeting neighbors
I'm not sure. If I were you I would keep a good eye on him.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've heard that they are dangerous and that they aren't in small quantities... Sorry, I know that not helpful :( hopefully he will be ok.

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
The Internet seems to think that a seed it two shouldn't be dangerous cause its not enough for the toxicity to build up... Oof. Scary. I'll be watching him closely. :facepalm:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've heard that apple seeds aren't dangerous because the cyanide in them is in such low quantities that it would take *A LOT* of seeds to even reach a critical dose. The body also does not store cyanide, so in small doses the body can convert the cyanide to less harmful toxins which end up being excreted out with urine. (just searched for that info!) I've even come across some owners who give their birds frequent exposure to apple seeds and have had no ill effects.

Chances are, Penguin will probably be fine. That said, you should contact your avian vet and ask them just to be on the safe side! You're a-vet may give you some information to look out for in the even that it does become a problem.

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
Thanks Monica. It's been two and a half hours and he's acting normal. He must have aten less than one entire seed now that i think about it. I had my back turned for a second :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Glad he's still acting normal! What a scare!! :hug8:

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Apple seeds won't harm a bird unless they eat a heap, everyday as part of their diet.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Not a problem. Just don't feed as part of a daily diet.