• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apple cider vinegar and hand feeding formula?

Tiyah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiyah
I worry too much about my babies, and I want to make sure that their little crops and tummies remain functioning as they should.
I bought some raw unpasteurized and unfiltered apple cider vinegar to add to their formula, but I'm not exactly sure how to use it.
I've looked all over the Internet and the only thing I found was to add a couple drops to the formula and use a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar to treat budding yeast in the mouth.
How much vinegar should I add to the formula and how frequently should I feed formula mixed with it? Is it bad to use vinegar as a preventive measure?
Is the vinegar I bought the correct kind? 20151023_152554.jpg 20151023_152606.jpg

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I think the best bet would be to ask your avian vet.

Tiyah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiyah
Called and they said they can't advise anything over the counter without a consultation. My normal avian vet is closed for the day :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does everything seem okay?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This website has a lot of good info for baby tiels: Just Cockatiels! - HOME It belongs to one of our members - srtiels. She hasn't been on the forum much lately but she's very good about helping people with baby tiel issues. If you need help, I think she can be reached either through her website or also through her facebook page which I believe is also listed on her website.

Tiyah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiyah
There may be a bit of budding yeast in one baby's mouth, but I can't quite tell.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
There may be a bit of budding yeast in one baby's mouth, but I can't quite tell.
Check out the website I just posted. It has a section on babies and yeast.

Tiyah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiyah
I first thought it was a tiny bit of food still left in his mouth, so I wet a q tip in some warm water and after swiping once there was a tiny little drop of blood that made me freak out. I called the vet as soon as I saw it, they said he should be fine and to just keep an eye on it.
I was so flabbergasted from the drop of blood I forgot to even mention the yeast.

Tiyah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiyah
You're Susanne! I've read almost all of your articles from the nest box. They've all helped me sharpen my eye on things to be cautious of and helped me learn techniques to more safely and efficiently feed my babies

I'm almost certian that the little bit of "food" in his mouth is yeast. Or else it probably wouldn't have bled when I tried to remove it?
Would using the 50/50 mix of acv and water twice a day on a q-tip for a couple days kill and loosen the yeast from the mouth? Whenever their crops empty I always check and make sure the crop color is good and there are no white filmy spots so I don't think we have any budding yeast there.
And would adding a drop or two of the acv to formula once a week be a good preventive measure, or is it even nessisary? I don't want to kill the good gut flora.

Tiyah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiyah
Nevermind I just looked at your profile, not Susanne, but hey at least we're both on the same page. Lol