• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apartment bird recommendations?

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Personal experience as someone who has lived in apartments for 10 years:
Our parrotlets could be noisy sometimes, but we kept a pretty quiet home so he was mostly very quiet and we never got any complaints. Curtis LOVED to interact while we sat at the computer, but parrotlets have like, no chill at all, so he would be running all over our fingers, preening our fingernails, trying to tear keys off the computer, pooping on stuff, and sometimes just being a jerk and biting. It's not super common to have a bird that will just sit still for hours, they're pretty curious and often distracting (in a good way, they're pretty cute and silly but they did need to be kept an eye on most of the time).

I've heard great stuff about doves and such for the quieter/calmer type bird. I've also heard Bourke's and Linnies are good for that too? But I have very little experience with those personally. The key thing to remember is that they will poop on some of your things and often have times where they want to play rather than be held or petted. That doesn't mean they can't be delightful friends, my parrots have been some of the closest relationships I have, but they're willful creatures that will sometimes scream or run around or make a mess, no matter what you do, even if you train them well. I think it would probably help you out a lot to see if anyone in person has one of the ones you're interested in so you can see a bit more what it's like and what to expect. Even if all birds are a bit different, that does really help.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
(I don't mind a mess in the cage, but I'd like it if they wouldn't throw food, feathers, and feces outside of the cage)

This part also worries me. A lot of the birds here on AA will throw their food out of the cage. Mine don't throw really throw food out of the cage and onto the floor and stuff. Though, I have caught them picking up pellets and dropping them on the bottom of the cage intentionally. If they're eating their chop, they also somehow get some splattered on the walls. Also there can be feathers lying all around outside the cage.

The part that really stuck out to me about that sentence above is the part where you said you don't want poop outside the cage. What will happen to the bird then? Birds need to be given the option to come out of the cage, and you can't exactly potty train a bird like you can a cat, dog, etc. If you want a bird, you really need to be prepared to have mess both inside and outside the cage.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Totally agree with what is being Said! I truely think a dove could work, but I cared for pigeons at the bird rescue and at home and man they are messy too! Poop and feathers outside of their cage is a given I think:) They Will poop outside of the a cage for sure too.. Bourkes might be a fit, but I wouldn’t go with any other parrot. Honestly, I would make very sure you want a bird and not a cat:) Nothing wrong with either, but it is not fair to have a bird and expect him/her not to behave like one.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have to agree with some of the other folks on here, you really don’t sound like a bird person at all. When I was reading your initial post I started thinking it was a joke about someone wanting a bird, but not wanting all the things birds do. It seems like you have very unrealistic expectations that your new bird won’t be able to live up to. I don’t want to offend you, and I’m honestly not trying to be mean, and I do like that you want to rescue.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Over here in the Netherlands these two lovies are exactly 27 minutes into their day and this is the destruction so far in part of their room:
image.jpg
Imagine the end of the day:) It is good to know what you are getting into, I am glad you are trying to find that out:) Also, I would like to mention that individual loudness can very a lot. I have one Fischers lovie and two peachies, it might be a species difference, but man, Xena(the Fischers) has Some lungs to her! She is a blind rescue and looves to make noise. I wonder at her history as their seems to be macaw type noises, conures, and canary song in her repertoire lol!

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Also noise wise I'd agree with a Bourke and perhaps a Pionus. Although my breeder had his nephew's Pionus in his shop and he was the loudest bird there a few weeks
Lol I remember him. I said hello to him and then he wouldnt stop screaming until i came back and picked him up.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
A female parrotlet was probably the quietest and least messy bird I ever had. She was also a terror and would make me bleed every single time i took her out. Linnies are good but their poops are quite messy, so be ready to clean the cage often.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
I wonder why Linnies poops are more messy o-o... My parrotlet is relatively quiet, she does contact call often but she has a small voice so...eh. My grandma's cockatiel's calls are definitely louder. She is pretty messy though, she's less messy when I feed her fresh food on a plate though, outside her cage, so I do that.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Why do you want a bird, and why does it have to be a bird?
Here are some other animals I can point you to that meet most, if not all, of your needs.
-Cat
-Leopard gecko
-Fish
-Snake
You would be surprised how trainable fish and cats are if you spend the time with them, I used to have a fish that would swim to the side of the tank for "kisses" when I put a finger in the water. I've also trained a shelter cat to sit, lie down, touch a stick, and come on command.

Agreeing with most others here, you really don't strike me as a bird person. Here's the reality of any bird for you.
-Seeds, poop, and feathers will be EVERYWHERE.
-All wood in your apartment will be scratched and damaged.
-If you're looking for something quieter than a budgie, you may have a VERY tough time.
-The bird, of course, will need to be out of the cage for a good part of the day, and that means poop, seeds, and feathers for you to clean up after around your entire apartment. And it's cruel to keep a bird in one room or confined to a cage it's whole life.
-Birds DO NOT sit still for more than a few minutes.
-Most don't talk, and they are hard to teach tricks to. You would have better luck with your cat.

Sure, go out and buy a bird if you want. But you aren't looking for any "bird" traits, and both you and your companion will be miserable. Plus, you would have to keep the bird FAR (in a whole separate room) away from:
-Your cat (NO cat is safe around birds, no matter how non-predatory.)
-Your snake
-Your spiders (especially if they are poisonous)
-Your fish tank (Your bird will try to take a bath in the "pretty lake" and drown.)

Please, for the bird's safety and wellbeing, and your own sanity, just don't.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Yeah, depends on the individual bird which is why you should be prepared to have expectations basically crushed. My parrotlet would probably be good for you, as although energetic and playful she has occasionally sat on my shoulder for over an hour (I was watching videos though so there was some entertainment for her). She also tends to fall asleep on me and preens a lot so she does sit still quite a bit. I'm not going to give you my bird obviously and your parrotlet may be totally different. Tbh even if you had my bird she may act differently around you.

In terms strictly of birds maybe a Bourke, they're usually quiet and have a pleasant voice. They're a bit skittish though so they may be harder to train. No, not all birds are difficult to train but it depends on the individual, what motivates them, etc. My bird is very quick to learn tricks, two days is her record for learning a new trick and three days for the other tricks so far. Everything with birds depends lol, so you gotta be prepared for anything and really love birds.

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
I thought of the kind of human baby/child/adult I want...no not really because I know that each person born is unique and cannot be ordered up like a cheeseburger. I love animals and whatever baggage they bring with them is ok because I come with baggage but nothing stops unconditional love and adjusting my needs with theirs. If I feel I am not the kind of person who can take whatever I might get then I do not have babies period.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Speaking from experience Parrotlets are great lil birds with HUGE personalities. They are like an Amazon in a tiny lil package. Great for apartments. They will stomp around and think nothing about letting you know exactly how they feel, IMHO this adds to their charm. I would not buy in pairs, as they will bond with each other and will not be interested in you. If not handled a lot they will revert back to their wild state. Males can talk really well. Look at the videos on YouTube. My lil Plet Kiwi, was the most awesome bird I had. I had to give her up when I moved to Hawaii. Broke my heart. They do not do well with other species, are fearless, and not afraid to take on larger birds. But as a solo bird, they make wonderful pets.

Attachments

Last edited:

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
A female parrotlet was probably the quietest and least messy bird I ever had. She was also a terror and would make me bleed every single time i took her out. Linnies are good but their poops are quite messy, so be ready to clean the cage often.
Greatful, my female plet never once bit me. She loved all the attention I gave her. She was a stubborn lil thing. She would stomp around like a lil dinosaur, as she let you know how she felt. :roflmao: She hated anything that crinkled and toilet paper. I loved everything about her :heart:

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
The only 'really quiet' birds I've been around have been finches, tbh.

That said... parrotlets are also very quiet, and I think they are great apartment birds, but I absolutely do not recommend them for first-time bird owners, as partial as I am to them. Even with all the warnings given, everyone I've known whose first bird was a parrotlet either rehomed them after a month or so, or came very close to it and never really formed a rewarding bond with them. They are amazing little guys, but they take a lot of patience and know-how to be rewarding companions. They are just about universally nippy; often the best you can do is teach them not to bite so hard they draw blood (I'm super fortunate with Tyr in that the only time he nips me hard enough to be painful at all is during the transition from/to his cage, but that's unusual to say the least.)

I had a white-capped pionus that would happily just sit with me and be chill, about the only one I've had that would. But, even though they tend more that way than most birds, it's by no means guaranteed, especially while young. And she wouldn't do any of the trick type stuff. And could be loud when she was upset about something. And definitely made more mess than any four or five budgies! (Plus, she was only sociable with me. My siblings referred to her as 'the vampire bird', because if anyone but me got within striking distance, she was out for blood.)

Green cheek conures are 'relatively' quiet (they are still conures, but infinitely quieter than suns/nandays/jendays etc.), though whether they'd be suitable in an apartment depends on the individual bird, and how 'soundproof' the apartment in question is.

But honestly, as many have said already... it doesn't seem like you 'actually' want a bird... you want an idealized idea of what a bird 'might' be like. Actual birds rarely end up that way, especially not without years of training.

Last edited:

Max83

Walking the driveway
it doesn't exist a no messy bird. all birds are very messy and every specie can be loud. VERY LOUD AND VERY MESSY. if you don't want to deal with poops, seeds, toys pieces etc scattered around the floor is better not to take a bird.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Linnies! They're very quiet and chill birds. My boys aren't very playful, I'm hoping that will change, but they are astonishingly quiet and sweet. They are highly food motivated which is hilarious to watch! My lovebird I figured would be not so loud,.... but that was all wrong! My neighbors swear they can't hear her, but if she's in a flock calling mood it's ear piercing. Still, lovies are very playful and that's something I really like about her. Definitely pros and cons for all the breeds. But this is the best place to get advice to see what might be best for you.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I didn't read all the way before responding but I agree with the others, if parakeets are too loud and messy.... you're not going to find a well mannered, clean bird. Training takes a lot of patience. A LOT. And parakeets are often overlooked as being "generic" but they can be really fun little birds! I only have 3 birds and I clean cages at least 2x a week and sweep up food from the floor at least 3x (and that's WITH a seed guard.) And my linnies are amazing poopers, they actually will get it on the wall!

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Just found this thread and I know just the bird you're talking about. Imaginary.
I don't mean to seem rude but all of the attributes you've described in this thread simply do not apply to any species bird, parrot or otherwise.
ANY bird you get, softbill or hookbill, is going to be messy, noisy, and (if you consider budgies disconcerting) loud. They are going to bite or peck you, they are going to toss seed and feathers outside of the cage (intentionally or not), and they are going to poop outside of the cage. I have never EVER seen any bird that would willfully sit on your shoulder for hours while you do things on the computer. Unless that bird is exhausted (sick) or in a once-in-a-blue-moon type mood, that's not going to happen.
Birds also cannot be "spayed/neutered" safely and, because they still have their male and female parts, they become hormonal during breeding season. A season which can last for months and come along just about any time of the year if light and heat are not regulated correctly. Males typically become more aggressive and females can also become aggressive and will start laying eggs which can get out of hand, even for the experienced "owner."
I say "owner" in quotations because truly the bird is the owner. They will be one of if not the main priority for the next 20+ years and will need enriching (not just sitting around on your shoulder) interaction daily. They are very complex-minded and need lots of good (often expensive) toys to keep entertained.

Forgive me if this is rude but it sounds like to me that you want a bird to have a bird. From what you said, you seem to want to have a bird for all of the good, unrealistic aspects and want one to have no bad aspects whatsoever. Having a bird, even a budgie or a dove, is going to be a several decades long commitment to a toddler with a sharp face. They have so many specific needs that, if you're unable to provide, will end with an unhappy bird and a frustrated human.
Everything you listed that you don't want to deal with are exactly what you are going to be dealing with if you have a bird. Please do not get any species of bird if these are going to be your expectations 24/7. This may sound rude, but this is simply what I took from all that you have posted. Birds are not what you seem to think they are, they aren't all cuddles and talking, they're screaming, biting, toddlers on crack that bring so much joy into the lives of those who are crazy enough to care for them. They can be wonderful companions but they are certainly not pets and are certainly not what you described.