• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone recommend Lafeber's Sunny Orchard Pellet-Berries?

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Hey all!

I have two cockatiels who are on a pretty healthy diet - it's currently at about 50% chop mix/grain bake and 50% pellets (mostly Roudybush by this point, but also a tiny bit of the fruity Zupreem). They also get nuts as treats for foraging and training and such (cashews are their favorites, also they also like pine nuts and occasionally almonds).

I was interested in possibly adding Lafeber's Sunny Orchard Pellet-Berries for two reasons: one, because it seems to be a decent source of omega fatty acids, vitamin B12 and vitamin D3. I have also seen lots of awesome ideas in which this type of treat can be used in foraging.

At our last vet visit, he recommended Lafeber's Nutriberries, which seems to be pretty popular. However, I didn't buy them because of some of the ingredients (such as gelatin...) I was also worried about the amount of sweeteners used. I'm still concerned about the sweeteners content in the pellet-berries as well, but overall the ingredients seem better than the classic Nutriberries.
I would still consider these a TREAT, but I would like to know if anyone else trusts feeding the pellet-berries to their birds.
This is the product I'm looking at (just to make sure we are on the same page): Lafeber's Sunny Orchard Pellet-Berries Cockatiel Food
Thoughts?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I fed my tiel pellet-berries. He liked them. He didn't love them like some tiels do. I had to break them up for him though. They smell delicious by the way- even though I never tried them myself. ;) Nutritionally, I think they're fine.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I fed Nutriberries as a main seed source for many, many years and I still feed them as a secondary foraging source. They do have sugar and propylene glycol in them, and it is one reason I switched to loose seed blends as the main seed source for the tiels. However, they do have little pellets in them that the tiels will eat without a problem and I have used all flavors and types of their Nutriberries with great success. I also use their AviCakes as well, especially the parrot size, which have about 50% more pellets than the Nutriberries.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Thank you so much! I appreciate it! I'll give it a go and see how they like them. :D

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Try asking Lafeber if they would send you some free samples....

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
my 2 eat them as forging toys. if you get them bag them in freezer quart (if you can find pint size even better) size and no more then what they will eat in week's time. they stay fresher that way. I put them in coffee filters twist the ends together and tie them with raffia.