• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone know Chris Biro?

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Just wondering if anyone has personally met or worked with Chris Biro? I don't know if it's realistic to fly any of my current birds because I have missed their fledging period, but free flight is something I greatly admire and plan for the far, distant future. I'd probably have to start with a baby, and it's a "in the next 10 years or so" dream. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about him. (Avian Training and Flight Instruction)

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
I have never worked with him in person but his videos and such are great. Birdtricks, Dave and Chet I have spoken to email, phone etc, have a Freeflyers club. I believe it is $900 for the full course, training, classes, and flying with Dave and Chet. Very safe, very neat, and they take birds that are from all different backgrounds. Ones that were clipped, new to flying, not ideal flight beginnings in life etc. Check them out! They take you and your bird to so many great flying locations. You start easy and they work with you up to advanced flying locations. It's like a free flying video game almost with your baby as the main player! Definitely going to look into it with miss Tori.
:dance4:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sarah, when you talk on the phone to Chet and Dave is it a paid consult? Or are they freely available to talk to anyone who has their dvds?

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Wendy is usually who answers but you can talk personally to them as well if you have DVDs. You get free in person consultations. They set up a time when you both are available So far, I haven't called. No questions yet.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
thanks Sarah :)

GlassOnion

I am in Canada so that wouldn't apply to me unfortunately! Chris Biro offers his Skype class for $300 or $500, can't remember which. Chris Biro says that he does not recommend outdoor flying older birds unless you have history and experience training babies for it. He refuses to teach a first time learner with an older bird as he believes that it is significantly more dangerous than working with a baby. So, I'm not too sure if I would be comfortable with believing the birdtricks' advice. I'll look into it though, I wonder if there are lots of good testimonials?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would not take the chance with birds as small as yours Glass Onion. Some birds are better candidates for free flight, Macaws in particular but Amazons seem to do well too. Greys may or may not do well, depends on the disposition. Cockatoos are also a good choice. Chris does have a Free Flight list on Yahoo that you can join for free and follow that might be helpful. There is a question of whether or not an older bird can be a good candidate and I don't know that it really matters if you're working with the right bird and you have the training ability.

Honestly though, I would not go to the Womach brothers for any flight training. They stole everything they know directly from Chris and do not have the banked training hours that Chris does. I just don't trust them, especially with what happened with that grey way back when. Of course, free flight training is always going to come back to you as the trainer, but I just feel that the Womach brothers are bad news.

GlassOnion

I know that with smaller birds, it's recommended to fly them in a flock. I am already aware that it's unrealistic to free-fly my current guys. :) I am working on flying Ruby outdoors on the flight line, though!

I couldn't find any testimonials online regarding the birdtricks' free flight course, so obviously I don't feel comfortable with them! They also say that any bird, old or young can be taught to free fly through their instruction. Chris Biro does not recommend teaching an older bird as a first time free flight trainer as the risks are too great. I feel more comfortable taking Chris Biro's advice than the former.

About Tui, the grey... yes it is unfortunate that the owner lost her, but from what I've seen on youtube I believe he did not get her accustomed to the outdoors in the proper steps. He just took her out of his front door, so Tui didn't know her surroundings at all. So, I wouldn't put the entire blame on the Womach's for that incident. However, since they do not offer the DVD anymore, I'm gonna assume that the Tui incident had some effect on that.

Last edited: