• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone know anything about Goldfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
One of the Goldfish we bought recently just jumped out onto the desk :eek: KerBear got to him before I did and plopped him back in.
::this isn't as suprising as it sounds, she drops stuff into buckets, my vase, ect all the time::

The fish looks ok (no blood) but there is a bit of a white line on his top fins. He is just staying at the top of the bowl. Is he gonna die now that he jumped out and hit the desk? Is he just stunned? How the heck did he jump out? He is a big ole fat fish:confused:

KerBear has never offered to stick anything in the bowl. We got them because Birdtalk said parrots like watching fish for company. She still isn't trying to play with him. She is just watching like she always does and chattering at him. The black one mostly just stays in the bamboo.

Uhm, if the fish dies do you think she will notice?:(

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Goldfish are pretty tough, he is probably a little shocky from his escapade.

Do you have any stress coat that you can add to the tank? It helps when they are stressed out.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Its probably in shock. It was picked up by a bird of prey, and magically "released" not to mention it nearly suffocated before. Two near-death experiences in one day! Its going to take a while for things to return to normal, but I bet the fish is ok. They tend to be pretty hardy, after all. They have to withstand the negligence and curiosity of little children :o:

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
I agree stress coat is a must have with fresh water fish. Walmart has it. Keeps the fungus and bacteria from their bodies

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
I have stress coat, it is already in the water. I also have some special herbal conditioner from Fish Doctor that makes the tap water safe for fish and aids in keeping them healthy.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I would add a little extra stress coat if you haven't already

Goldfish are pretty hardy, I have three in a deck pond that have survived 2 weeks of lows in the 20's

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
He is kinda laying on his side occasionally now. Then he rights himself and swims around. He is moving now though, so maybe he is starting to come out of it.

Uhm, no one mentioned if birds would notice if a fish was missing:o:

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
:omg: I'm just rolling @ KerBear plopping him back in the bowl!! :rofl: :rofl:

As far as the fish goes - a lot of fish will randomly jump out of their bowls/tanks/etc.... I've had goldfish, bettas, and another similar sized fish(don't recall the type) jump out of their bowls/tanks at various times. It's always best to have something covering it so if they jump, they can't get out.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Mine like fish. To eat. I'm no help

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
:omg: Parrots EAT fish???!?!

::glances over at KerBear::

Why do they say to put fish in your bird rooms and as companions for your parrot if they eat them?:scared3:

Thank heavens KerBear doesn't :scared2:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
The only thing I can tell you about goldfish is that they die in my house. Not sure why, although someone told me it's because of the water and additives and that kind of thing. But....I am able to keep those beta fishes alive and my birds love watching them. I also heard they are pretty hardy fish. Good thing!! Good luck with goldie.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
He is kinda laying on his side occasionally now. Then he rights himself and swims around. He is moving now though, so maybe he is starting to come out of it.

Uhm, no one mentioned if birds would notice if a fish was missing:o:

He's probably coming out of it, but keep a close eye on him. He might have internal damage and might die.
Umm...if he does, I would just tell Kerbear he went away to a farm and get a replacement fish PRONTO. That's what we do for the kids....

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I recommend getting a FISH TANK with filter,etc, and not keeping a goldfish inside a bowl:hug8:

Fommy

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
I think it is so cool that Kerbear put him back in the Bowl. He knew that fish wasn't supposed to be out of that bowl, I guess. I think the fish will be OK.
I have had fish jump out of tanks allot and be just fine ( I worked at a pet store as a teen) unless Kerbear bit him too hard trying to save him from a dry death.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Could you tell us more about how you're keeping the goldfish? Goldies are incredibly messy, dirty, cold-water fish. The minimum that they should be kept in is 10 gallons per fish, preferably in a well filtered tank, because they produce so much ammonia that they literally poison themselves to death in anything less. You typed in 'bowl' so I fear that your setup won't keep them alive long-term, even if he does make it through the day. Given proper care, normal goldfish can live 20 years and more (my little sister has one that's currently 22 years old and about eight inches long). The only truth to most common goldfish 'care advice' is that if you keep them in a small tank they stay small, but only because they'll be dead.

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
get a lid on the tank :) my sisters fish jumped on over night and deid

Wilder

Walking the driveway
You might try some Melafix in the water, and definitely keep an eye on his fins. If they dried out and were roughly handled, it's likely they may fray and develop an infection -- keep an eye out for fluffy white stuff on the frayed parts.

I do have to agree with the others though, goldfish should not be kept in bowls no matter what a pet store might tell you. Remember, these are the same folks saying you can keep birds in tiny cages and that a seed diet is just fine. They just don't know better, or care. If your goldfish is one of the common "comet" types, it can (should, in a healthy environment!) get to 12+ inches. The fancy varieties stay smaller, and you can keep one of those in a ten gallon tank. Bigger is better, of course. I had mine in a 20 gallon by himself. With goldfish, over-filtration is a must, so you'll want a filter rated for a tank at least one size larger than the tank you would keep the fish in. They are MESSY fish and will pollute their water fast otherwise. This is why some people end up with goldfish that live several years and still stay small -- their growth is severely stunted due to the toxic water. Not a healthy way to survive.

Good luck with him, hope he pulls through. And how nice for your bird to save his life! ;)

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
I did something really stupid because I wasn't paying attention and now I don't know what to do.

I came over to my desk and saw the fish had died. I didn't even stop to check and see where KerBear was. I was thinking about dinner and laundry. I scooped him right out with the fish net and carried him into the bathroom. I plopped him into the toilet and flushed and waited until he went down. As soon as his body disappeared down the toilet I heard this loud shrieking noise and about jumped out of my skin. I turned around and KerBear was on a towel hanging behind me looking into the toilet making the loudest, most horrible sounds. I had to wrap her into the towel to get her out and she didn't shut up. I put her in her cage and she climbed over to the corner across from the bathroom and just kept staring and screaming. She was finally quiet and I let her out. She scrambled for the bathroom and stuck her beak under the door and started screaming. I showed her the fish wasn't in the toilet and explained to her he was dead. She just keeps screaming in the toilet. I have her back in her cage again and she is just hanging there, staring. I know people think birds don't have expressions, but the way her feathers are and her eyes is just, sad.

We have only had the fish a couple of days. Yes she liked them, and yes she would tap her beak lightly on the glass next to the orange one and talk to it, but, it is a fish, not another bird.

I covered her up because it was spooking me the way she kept looking at me. My husband told me she watched me scoop up the fish, and hopped down and silently waddled after me as I carried it to the bathroom. She watched me flush it.

She keeps making this high pitched noises that never stops.

What do I do

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Most captive animals don't understand death(althought hey most certainly DO feel sorrow and greif). The poor dear:hug8:

p,s: I had a beta in a large 10gallon bowl when I first got my first bird, sapphire, my handraised eggling house sparrow. She nearly drowned in that bowl. It was fate that made me have a gut curling pain of sorrow that made me run upstairs to check up on her out of the blue. Luckily I was home. The betta went into a tank immediatly after I rescue sapphire from a water death.

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
I will move the remaining fish to a tank. KerBear just liked looking at them on my desk next to her boing. She could look at that fish for hours the last few days.

I feel so guilty and she won't shut up

Status
Not open for further replies.