• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone had success with SSRIs or SNRIs?

jenbella

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
There's been talk that the companies that make clomipramine, which has become a bit of a mainstay in the vet world, are going to discontinue it. Has anyone tried SSRIs or SNRIs with their large parrots, primarily cockatoos or macaws? I'm interested in any results, success or otherwise. If you don't know what I'm talking about or disagree, please don't comment. I don't need or want a fight about this. Huge thanks to anyone who has any experience with any of this meds.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I try to use as few medications as I can with my birds. When I had my Amazon cock, Pedro, one vet recommended putting him on clomipramine and I refused. I eventually had to rehome him just to keep him from hurting me after my back surgery, but I felt if he were in a better situation with someone who understood him better than I did, he would be much better off than drugged.

I use a holistic avian vet and have no complaints. She uses antibiotics when needed and avoids drugs in favor of natural herbs whenever she can. It seems to work with my parrots; but not so great with the cats. So I have a more traditional vet for the cats.

If that drug is discontinued, it could make a problem for a lot of people managing their pets on it. Sometimes I think drug companies deliberately discontinue cheap meds just so they can introduce a new med that costs three times as much.