• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone familular with Derbyan Perekeets?

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
Hello, i am new to the aviana fourm!
last year we lost our beloved conure and it has taken a while to be ready to start looking around for a new feathered family member!
someone had contacted me and said they had baby derbyan perekeets ready for the end of may, so i started to do some research, only to find i cant really find very much on them!
i can find like a breed info basically, but nothing from people that own them as companian birds or have own them in the past!
im very intrigued by them but i cant to get all the knowledge i can to make sure it is a good fit for our family!
so if anyone can help me or send me in the right direction i would be so very thankful!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
They seem like Indian ring necks. They like to chew a lot and can be loud. They aren't really interested in cuddles and are very curious, so a lot of entertainment is necessary. Cute though, very beautiful looking birds. Oh, and of course they are expert talkers typically.

You probably know all that. I'm sure someone who has one will respond soon.

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I have been considering a Derbyan for a while and have visited 2 of them at a local parrot store about 10 times. Note that the males have orange beaks and females black beaks. The tail was gorgeous blue and 10 inches long. The orange beak takes about 18 months to come in on a male. Both at the store are males but one is younger and still had the black beak. They did DNA to confirm male. They step up beautifully and are super gentle. No intention of biting or nipping. I could not stroke their backs or necks. They would let out a loud squawk if I tried. Contrast this with the African Greys or Myers parrots I also played with that loved getting their heads scratched. Finally, the Derbyans have a clear musky smell to them similar to a Pionus. I noticed this on all 10 visits am compared to the Greys and Myers which did not smell. The older Derbyan was already talking. It said Hi and a few other words. In sum, I found the Derbyan to be a great show bird — one that is stunning with its bright beak and long tail. You can’t really do more than have it step up though. It’s speaking ability was amazing. Hope this helps!