• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone ever groom a cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
I don't think you shouldn't attempt it. The only way to know is to try. Your clippers might get through the coat fine and they might not. Aside from the clipper issue it really does take a lot of practice to learn to handle the clippers and cat at the same time. I worked a t a cat vet, that's how I got my experience with clippers and cats but before that I well remember trying to clip my persian at home with lesser clippers. Don't expect perfection and be prepared to do a little at a time. If you try to do the whole thing at once you will get frustrated and it will be an unhappy experience for all.

They have a few mats here and there, but are not completely matted. I usually cut them out as I find them.
As long as you are careful around the matts you should be ok. Give them a good brushing first so you have a tangle free coat to start with. I would worry more about skin irritation if the clippers get too hot. Take it slow, doing is the only way to learn.

Last edited:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
If you have never clipped an animal before, I would suggest leaving it up to the groomers. Better be safe than sorry, you don't need a vet bill too. ;)
I usually do have the groomers do this, they go 3-4 times a year but right now it is not financially possible to take them and they are getting really bad. They have to much hair! lol

Robin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
It makes it much easier if you have someone hold the cat and you do the clipping. Just take it slow and pay close attention to where you are cutting.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I tried to clip Mia nails recently, but I didn't have a tranquilizer gun or a limitless supply of blood so I gave up :eek::D

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I tried to clip Mia nails recently, but I didn't have a tranquilizer gun or a limitless supply of blood so I gave up :eek::D
:coffeescreen:

My boys are fine with nail clippings, they just lay there and let me do it as long as I catch when they are already relaxed

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
don't really have any advice for you, but wanted to say good luck! i had a cat that i clipped regularly by myself, but he was totally fine with it. would just lay there because he was getting "petted" and would even roll over and let me do his belly no problem. i was surprised that he was not freaked out, so this may not be the case with your cats. especially since you've taken them to groomers before. they could have had a bad experience and now have a negative association with clipping. i'd start by turning on the clippers and see how they react. you can always take it slow and positively reinforce them for being near the running clippers and not freaking out.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you will be fine. Your cats are used to being groomed. :)

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you will be fine. Your cats are used to being groomed. :)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Famous last words!!

Ever notice how kids are quieter/more behaved around strangers than their own parents? Pets can be like that too.

Couldn't pay me enough to ever, ever groom a cat .. but good luck to you Crystal .. :hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Go for it! I teach interns at my work every year. They do best if I show them how to work the clippers, run one strip down a donkey's back, and hand them everything. You have been told what you need to hear, you will be slow and careful, go for it. Then we need pictures. :p

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

:coffeescreen:

My boys are fine with nail clippings, they just lay there and let me do it as long as I catch when they are already relaxed
Jax is fine with it, Mia has been difficult since she was a tiny kitten at Tanya's house :rolleyes:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I will only clip horses myself:D Cats are by far more dangerous!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I will do my best to get a video for you all when I do this! I know you want to laugh at my expense!:p:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.