• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone elses HH molting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParrotHead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey
I think Gryffin is going through his first molt. His crestie is covered in pin feathers, his chest is covered (so bad that at first I thought his was picking at his feathers, and it devistated me!), and he squeels if I'm rubbing his head, and hit one wrong. I feel so bad for him. Currently, he's the only one in my flock molting. Anyone else going through one? Any tips on how to make the process easier for my boy?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
he squeels if I'm rubbing his head, and hit one wrong......Any tips on how to make the process easier for my boy?
Holly{RFM} is going through a molt, but not Cochise. Instead of rubbing his head...go along each pin, gently with index & thumb, starting at the bottom work towards the top, crunching the white part off as you go. If it is ready, it will break away easily. If not, it will feel harder. Baths or showers helps a lot.

Crazy Bird Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dal
Zoey is the same way, lots of pin feathers. Does not like me to touch them. Not too many feathers in the bottom of her cage.

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Yuppers were going through our first molt here too :)
It seems every few days he drops a whole heap of feathers and then spends the rest of the week working on unwrapping the new ones as they come in. Seems like a slow process though. :(

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
I have 3 Macaws, a U2, a RB2 and quakers going throught a molt now, the suns are next I think. My sanctuary tiel already went through hers.

They always come to me so I can do their pin feathers and I give them lots of baths during this time so it softens up that protien/waxish coating on the new feathers :)

I give them lost of treats and spoil them because I used to love it when my mom babied me when I didn't feel the greatest. To my understanding molting is not the most comfortable process in the world.
:hug8:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cash is molting his wing and tail feathers now. He is just about done molting his cresty and we've had nightly preen sessions to release the new feathers there. Love doing that, he practically falls asleep right there when his head is getting preened. So cute :)

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Chester molts a bit it seems like all the time but that can be normal but have not seen any feathers in excess from his normal molting. I save his crest or nape feathers, I've got a baggie with quite a few that I've been saving... these feathers might end up on eBay at some point!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.