• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

anybody able to tell me any ideas of homemade cleaners or carpet freshners I can use?

Mygcgbaby

Meeting neighbors
I am trying to find a homemade bird safe cleaner, and carpet freshener I can use . I am afraid to use store bought cleaners as I read the labels and I was like "wow I had no idea all that was in one bottle!" the greener the better, as in safe, homemade, or what not! thank you in advance!!

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I am wondering the same thing. I've been having a hard time finding things that were safe to use! I did my research and found that basically nothing is from cooking to hair care....but I need to know whats actually safe!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use baking soda on my carpet. Also use diluted white vinegar or diluted apple cider vinegar for cleaning surfaces and also cleaning the carpet although I don't use the baking soda and vinegar together because I don't want to create a volcano. :D However baking soda and vinegar combination are good for cleaning drains.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i do not have carpets but use deluted vingar water on my floors
a steam cleaner can be used with just water

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
That sounds like a good idea. White vinegar is good for everything. I have distilled in the cabinet and raw organic apple cidar vinegar. They say not to use hair spray thats aerosol so is the spray bottle better? A girl can't go without her hair spray sometimes

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I use Dragonfly Organix. They have one product that is for hardwood floors, I use it for all my antiques, etc :smileflower:

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
There's a recipe online with plain dawn soap, baking soda, white vinegar, and water for floor cleaner. I can't remember exact amt as I eye ball it

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also use this cleaning stone(pumice)/sponge combination that I get at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

MallorysMum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sheila
I know you can't use bleach around a bird, but the clorine in bleach will dissipate within 24 hours. So, if you need something cleaned that needed that, you could use it outside away from the birds or in an area they aren't exposed to it. Just make sure it's been 24 hours and you've rinsed well after.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Wonder what could be used in a carpet cleaner instead of store bought solution? I was going to clean my carpets soon.