• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any tips appreciated for taking my cinnamon out to public places in his travel cage!

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
I want him to be less skittish and more people friendly with sudden noises outside and to get sunlight now that it's finally warmer here in the east coast! I was thinking about this shopping center with lots of benches and tables to place his cage there and have him just people/surrounding watch. It would be his first time being so exposed in a public place minus the vet. He seems to do really well getting used to new surroundings but a lot of noises tend to spook him. I know that birds are easily spooked by sounds but I don't want him to get so scared everytime a neighbors dog barks, whenever a person walks by, or when cars drive by. Thank you!

Also if anyone can share their experiences with me, how did you get your sweet feather babies to get used to going outside and what are some places you take them?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is it a busy shopping center? If so, I would probably start somewhere with a bit less commotion. Does he go outside at your house? Or you can try a park or friends house too. I think it's great to get our birds out and about, but wherever you go, make sure you start out with a short period of time, like maybe 15-20 minutes, and then build up. Also, I would cover part of his cage so he doesn't need to be alert on all the sides. Have fun!:)

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Following~! I want to take Boo out and about without just going to the vet. I have to burrito him .... :( but he handles it well. I have taken him outside at home a few times. When hubby brings our camper home, we will go out there too!

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
Is it a busy shopping center? If so, I would probably start somewhere with a bit less commotion. Does he go outside at your house? Or you can try a park or friends house too. I think it's great to get our birds out and about, but wherever you go, make sure you start out with a short period of time, like maybe 15-20 minutes, and then build up. Also, I would cover part of his cage so he doesn't need to be alert on all the sides. Have fun!:)
Yes.. it is quite busy. I just came back inside from sitting out on our front porch with him! He was such a good trooper! He had a blast, just listening to wild birds and looking at neighbors mowing lawns hahaha he was also eating and drinking and the poop was not stress watery poop! I am so happy that he adjusts so well to new surroundings. You are right I will take it slowly and let him get used to the front porch and then take him out to a more busier area. Although I live in the country side and it takes about half an hour to get anywhere so just taking him for 15-20 minutes would not be so realistic.. I also have a question about a hot car. I have an old 2007 vw beetle and it doesn't cool very well so it feels extremely hot, especially in the beginning getting it up and running. The ac also isn't very good so the windows need to be down. How do I prepare him for this? I am worried that he will get overheated during the ride

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
Following~! I want to take Boo out and about without just going to the vet. I have to burrito him .... :( but he handles it well. I have taken him outside at home a few times. When hubby brings our camper home, we will go out there too!
Good luck!!! I'm sure Boo will take to it very well! ♡♡

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For busier areas, cover half the cage with a towel. It will provide shade as well as somewhere he can retreat and feel safer while still being able to see outside :)

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Getting your bird a dog or cat carrier and putting a perch in, is one help.
Our grey was shipped in this and she loves it.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Gracie is almost one year old. When she was 5 months old, we bought this backpack, as we travel. We placed it on a table, allowing her to look at it for a week. We started taking her for short walks and rides in the car.
She goes for walks in the park daily, with the dogs.
She has gone camping in our travel trailer approx 10 times.
She loves going outside. If we did not have the backpack, I would take the carrier at the top and secure it to the stroller boards.

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
For busier areas, cover half the cage with a towel. It will provide shade as well as somewhere he can retreat and feel safer while still being able to see outside :)
I sure will!!!! Thank you for your lovely tip! ♡

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
Getting your bird a dog or cat carrier and putting a perch in, is one help.
Our grey was shipped in this and she loves it.

View attachment 225666 View attachment 225663 View attachment 225664
View attachment 225665

Gracie is almost one year old. When she was 5 months old, we bought this backpack, as we travel. We placed it on a table, allowing her to look at it for a week. We started taking her for short walks and rides in the car.
She goes for walks in the park daily, with the dogs.
She has gone camping in our travel trailer approx 10 times.
She loves going outside. If we did not have the backpack, I would take the carrier at the top and secure it to the stroller boards.
Wow!! What a lucky girl Gracie is!!! The pak o bird is a bit too expensive for my budget right now.. but I have been considering it for the future! His travel cage is a bit bigger, bulkier, and heavy but I can manage with it now. Thank you so much for sharing your adorable pictures and your tips on gradually introducing a travel carrier to him as I'll be using your advice for when I get him a carrier in the near future!