• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any suggestions on aviary acclimation? Cockatoo hates his aviary.

Cris Waller

Moving in
I've built a beautiful aviary for Corey, my rescued bare-eyed cockatoo. It's stuffed full of wood and corks and toys and ropes and branches and puzzles and other fun things. It's screened from any scary sights. Right now, the weather is gorgeous. As we will be undergoing a kitchen remodelling project, it is meant as his go-to place when there's any work being done that could produce harmful fumes or other issues. I'd really like him to like his aviary.

As long as I am in his sight, he is fine, exploring the aviary and playing. The moment I am not, he starts screaming. He stands on top of his travel crate or in one spot in the aviary and yells almost continuously the entire time he is out. When it's finally time to go in, he practically jumps in his travel crate to be carried back to the house.

I tried introducing him slowly, keeping him out for just a few minutes while I did gardening. We have been working on this for about a month now, gradually increasing the time he stays outside to 2-3 hours, and we don't seem to be making any progress as far as him relaxing and enjoying the aviary. I am very careful not to reinforce the yelling and wait until he's quiet for at least a moment before going outside when it's time to come in. I have a remote camera so I can keep an eye on him (and hear him!)

Anyone else had this issue? Were you able to overcome it with time? I keep hoping he'll realize it's a lot more fun out there than in his cage...

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sounds like a nice aviary! I don't have experience with this, but I think maybe you've gone to fast. After a month I would think he should only be up to an hour at most with you near, especially if he's unsure about it. You could try giving his favorite treat to him only when he is in there.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
I'd agree with the fact that you may have gone too fast. Figure out the longest time he can be left alone in the aviary and build up from there. It may also be a good idea to walk outside every few mins or so to let him know you're still there. This way he will learn to expect your presence at a certain time. Once he understands this concept you can work your way up to longer intervals of time, visiting every 8, 10, 15, 30 mins etc.

Just make sure you go at his pace. Being a single bird out in the big wide world is a scary thing. Naturally, parrots are in large flocks and never alone in the wild because being alone is typically a death sentence.

Even though your bird has lived his life in captivity he still has this natural flocking instinct, so when you leave him alone every fiber of his being is screaming UNSAFE DANGER, which then results in the contact calling. Ignoring this screaming is not necessarily the best tactic because he is contact calling out of stress and the need to flock. Ignoring his screams completely will just cause more stress. It doesn't mean you should come running every time he screams, but instead set up the time intervals of checking in so he knows when to expect you and that he's not truly alone.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your biggest problem is that he's alone out there. A solitary bird is a lonely bird. He may not overcome that. Birds really shouldn't be left alone unsupervised in aviaries unless they are proven safe and secure designs.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I agree with John on this. I have an outdoor aviary and Lucy will start hollering if someone isnt out there with her or she cant see us.
I usually sit on the porch while she is out there or working in the carport/woodshop while she is out there. If she can see one of us, she is fine and enjoys being out there.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is it big enough for you to hang out in and read a book or something?

Cris Waller

Moving in
Thanks, all. I am following your advice and going back to just putting him in while I am around. There will come a time in a bit over a month when he will have to be outside in the aviary for a few hours (when potentially harmful work in the kitchen is being done) and I may not be able to be around the whole time. We'll see how it goes!

The article was interesting, especially the advice to use high-value foraging toys. Corey loves his foraging toys, but I have been avoiding using them with nuts and seeds because his aviary is screened in with pet screening and we have a huge local squirrel population. I don't want to do anything that could encourage squirrels to chew through the screening. I'll have to think about it.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Maybe figure out a way to set up a foraging station that would be easy to clean?!?!?!

I've seen one person use a fish tank as a feeding station! Although, I'd imagine that a cockatoo would happily destroy the rim on a tank! :D

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'd get a safe wooden basket without a glossy finish and load it up with toy parts, shreddables, etc., and hang it in your aviary.