• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any kitten experts?

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I think you’ll find the mother cat usually gives them all a stimulating bum clean after each feeding to encourage them to go. Not sure how often other than feed times though.
That’s a good thought, I have been giving her a tissue bum bath and a full body “bath” to burp her and get her to relieve herself.

At least once a day.
Thank you!

Can she have a name yet?
I’m open to suggestions, if my friend takes her, he’ll probably rename her but I don’t see a reason for her not to have one. I’m not sure she’s a her entirely, lol! I was planning to see what the vet said about whether she’s a girl or a boy.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
You are doing a great job.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's Beautiful. I don't mean to imply anything but you are giving her kitten formula not actual hard or soft food.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie pie.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Man, this feeding every 2-3 hours (she takes it around 3 hours) is no joke. I’m sick anyway so I had a hard time sleeping. First school night without my sleeping meds because I didn’t want to miss a feeding.
I was looking up names and Fuku is cute, it means lucky in Japanese but also seems to apply to food so I’m not sure. I’m not sure yet she’s lucky but I’ve nicknamed her Aki Fuku in my head. May stick, may not, she may be a boy because I have a record of being inept at telling the difference.
She ate around 3ml at night and 4ml this morning.

You are doing a great job.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

She's Beautiful. I don't mean to imply anything but you are giving her kitten formula not actual hard or soft food.
No offense taken!! I’d rather be corrected if I was doing something wrong especially if it could hurt her! But yes, she’s getting formula. She’s way too little for anything but kitten formula. KMR. Heated up with warm water, checked to make sure it’s not too hot or cold.

What a cutie pie.
She certainly is!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Sexing you kittens can be really difficult. Just remember one thing: round hole is male; slit opening is female. Gently manipulate the skin around the orifice to determine the true shape of the opening.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I'm no expert I've only fostered a litter of three, but my advice is to let her go at her own pace, and don't worry.

Man, this feeding every 2-3 hours (she takes it around 3 hours) is no joke. I’m sick anyway so I had a hard time sleeping. First school night without my sleeping meds because I didn’t want to miss a feeding.
I was looking up names and Fuku is cute, it means lucky in Japanese but also seems to apply to food so I’m not sure. I’m not sure yet she’s lucky but I’ve nicknamed her Aki Fuku in my head. May stick, may not, she may be a boy because I have a record of being inept at telling the difference.
She ate around 3ml at night and 4ml this morning.
Soon enough you can the feedings down at night, she will adjust to your schedule:). Fuku is cute:heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh, she's precious.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh wow...tiny baby. I know Lisa Moser at Soft Landings also bottle feeds the very young like this one and then when weaned they go off to another foster spot. She would answer questions I'm certain.

Suma

Meeting neighbors
Man, this feeding every 2-3 hours (she takes it around 3 hours) is no joke.
That really is an awesome thing you're doing. And you're so right. I foster kitten litters sometimes and I *way* prefer when they are still with their mom, because then all I have to do for the first few weeks is take care of her and she'll do the rest. I know people who prefer fostering orphaned kittens, and holy cow, that's a lot of work. Big kudos to you!!

I don't suck at sexing kittens the way I do at sexing parakeets. LOL! If you can get any good well-lit pics of his/her tushy with the tail held up, we could all vote. :laughing2:

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Feeding a newborn kitten can be draining and I hope you have someone who can relieve you at times. I had to set my alarm for every three hours when I was tasked with kitten duty. :)

Fuka is a really neat name and it can apply to a boy or a girl.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Sexing you kittens can be really difficult. Just remember one thing: round hole is male; slit opening is female. Gently manipulate the skin around the orifice to determine the true shape of the opening.
I watched a video about it but I don't feel confident. I'll post a picture. I'm thinking the behind looks male but, I could be completely wrong. I was young and messed up sexing my male kitten (my heart-cat whose name was "Baby" because of his pitiful cry) until I took him to the vet and my mom laughed at me and said she could see the "peas" as she called them.
What a cutie pie.
Thank you, she really is.
Oh, she's precious.
Her face is maybe the size of a quarter.
Oh wow...tiny baby. I know Lisa Moser at Soft Landings also bottle feeds the very young like this one and then when weaned they go off to another foster spot. She would answer questions I'm certain.
That would be wonderful if you don't mind!! I'm very new at this and all the advice I can get is good.
That really is an awesome thing you're doing. And you're so right. I foster kitten litters sometimes and I *way* prefer when they are still with their mom, because then all I have to do for the first few weeks is take care of her and she'll do the rest. I know people who prefer fostering orphaned kittens, and holy cow, that's a lot of work. Big kudos to you!!

I don't suck at sexing kittens the way I do at sexing parakeets. LOL! If you can get any good well-lit pics of his/her tushy with the tail held up, we could all vote. :laughing2:
Omg, having a mom would make this so much easier. I wish Foo (mom's nickname for Fuku) had waited until summer break! I'll get some pictures soon so everyone can see what they think!

Feeding a newborn kitten can be draining and I hope you have someone who can relieve you at times. I had to set my alarm for every three hours when I was tasked with kitten duty. :)

Fuka is a really neat name and it can apply to a boy or a girl.
Thank you! I liked the name, seems to fit her too. My mom does it while I'm at work but I brought her home so I feel like I'm responsible for waking up.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Here’s some kitty butt.
Not sure if they’re well lit enough or not.
38A33188-7297-47D5-9D6A-503C64A233FD.jpeg 7987CBD9-FC79-4EA0-8241-1A04774A3549.jpeg

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
He is so damn cute. Has he started to open her eyes yet? I am thinking you might have a boy kitty there.
I’m thinking so too which means I’m keeping him. My friend lost a male cat to crystals in the urinary track and he still hasn’t recovered so I understand why he wouldn’t want another male, especially a tabby. He’s reacting to light and changes in light so I expect the eyes will open soon.

Edited for spelling because I’m a dingus.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
I’m thinking so too which means I’m keeping him. My friend lost a male cat to crystals in the urinary track and he still hasn’t recovered so I understand why he wouldn’t want another male, especially a tabby. He’s reacting to light and changes in light so I expect the eyes will open soon.

Edited for spelling because I’m a dingus.

I am so glad to hear that you will be keeping him. The fact that you found him on the side of the road tells me that it is a friendship that is meant to be.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I am so glad to hear that you will be keeping him. The fact that you found him on the side of the road tells me that it is a friendship that is meant to be.
It was a bit scary because we found him where the lady in the resource center usually parks. Steph was freaked out that she could have run over him.
It’s been... geez... five or six years since I’ve personally had a cat. This is usually how I end up with them.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
It was a bit scary because we found him where the lady in the resource center usually parks. Steph was freaked out that she could have run over him.
It’s been... geez... five or six years since I’ve personally had a cat. This is usually how I end up with them.

The fact that the person was not in her parking spot, like she would have normally been, tells me that somebody was looking out for that little guy- a guardian angel. Every sign was directed at you to find this cute little one.

My mother found two newborn kittens on her car's front tires years ago and she still has nightmares about it to this day. Luckily, she is a very observant person.

Welcome back to the world of felines. :)